Relation between Tturbine blade length, width, thickness and weight

Options
mahesh_chavan
mahesh_chavan Registered Users Posts: 1
One Indian Bank is financing wind energy projects of 1 MW ( 4 turbines with 250 KW capacity each.) As per there scheme I came to know that at height of 50 meters and length of blade 14 met. ( 3 blades ) max. power can be 250 KW off course with enough wind speed.
I came across one big project with 100 met. blade length and weight of blade about 50 tons each. I speculate the weight of 14 met. blade will be around 7 tons.
Blades are of fiber glass.
On another article I came across one variable length project with 9 met. blade length and weight of each blade about 545 kg. producing about 150 kw
Heavy blade will require more wind velocity.
Can anybody tell me what should be the width and thickness of the blade and weight of the blade for a particular length and tip-speed.
Thanking you

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,440 admin
    Options
    Re: Relation between Tturbine blade length, width, thickness and weight

Is this for a school/engineering design project?

I am not sure that anyone here can really answer that question... This is stuff that people and computers will take years to get experience and design the "optimum" solution for any particular application.

There are "line locked" turbines (phase synced alternators) where the turbines turn at the same RPM/Phase (look at a turbine farm, all the blades are rotating exactly the same speed/position).

And there are "free run" or "wild frequency" turbines where the alternator powers a GT inverter--This allows them to also very RPM/blade pitch based on current conditions.

I don't think there is "one answer" here.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset