Pre-built battery/inverter/solar charger system from Home Depot

Options
techntrek
techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
Just stumbled on this and thought I would post the link here. WAY overpriced. They are selling two models, this is the smaller one (the larger one has a bogus review on it so I didn't want to link to it).

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Outdoor-Power-Equipment-Generators-Portable-Generators/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbx9n/R-100658724/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051
4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Pre-built battery/inverter/solar charger system from Home Depot
    techntrek wrote: »
    Just stumbled on this and thought I would post the link here. WAY overpriced. They are selling two models, this is the smaller one (the larger one has a bogus review on it so I didn't want to link to it).

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Outdoor-Power-Equipment-Generators-Portable-Generators/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbx9n/R-100658724/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

It is not clear to me whether this includes the panels or not. I love that the "generator" can be run indoors. But if the panels are indoors too, the results will not be good. :-)

They have shoehorned the off-grid system to fit into the category of generator, with some odd results in the specifications.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

gee, i'm upset that it didn't come with a muffler.:roll::p
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    gee, i'm upset that it didn't come with a muffler.:roll::p

Aye, I'll get me mam to knit yer one. :p

The specs don't make much sense, really. But the price ... Wee-haa! That's near what my whole system cost with panels!

Okay everyone: out-do Home Depot. Design up your own version of this and see how much it would cost.
    Specs you have to meet:
    2500 Watts 120 VAC (doesn't say sine wave so ... and we'll skip the outrageous 7500 Watt surge 'cause that could be for 1 sec).
    6300 Watt hours (they left that bit out) stored capacity - which probably is 100% DOD rating.
    30 Amp charge controller.
    Don't forget the rolling mechanic's tool box to house it in!

(This could be fun, and possibly worthwhile.)
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

for that price it should've come with a muffler. (for those that don't get it the specs are generically set up for a generator and says, muffler no.) it should have a handle, an umbrella, and a foldout chair lined in gold for that matter.;)

add insult to injury is the $100 electrical cord. did hh greg take over hd as they charge extra for the cords too?:confused:

now it might be worth it if they included a deed to a portion of the sun to go with it.:p
  • techntrek
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    now it might be worth it if they included a deed to a portion of the sun to go with it.:p

As long as you get to name your neighborhood it might not be too bad.
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Options

Have you been to Lowsy's / Home destruction and heard the " Assimilated Associate " give the reason why this "part" is what you need to repair/upgrade/build ANYTHING.

Granted there are some Trades Folks still there, But some are just children wearing a Bib.

You must know what you need before going in and asking .
    I needed huge power lugs , there largest were say 4 or 2 gauge AWS. I needed larger , so the gent said I could just file/drill the hole larger..
    Totally lost , had NO idea that was a NO-NO .. ended up ordering from Alberta company. (25 HP 660V 12" well pump ) .
    I think they have had courses from the Carp tube company . (Canadians would know them, Americans can relate to otozone [HO2s is gone])

I believe it's going to get much worse , here in NA.

VT
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Options

for a little less or around the same price you can get this battery pack
    http://www.dynalite.com/?page_id=428

recharges in 2 hrs 80%

not sure how the two battery packs compare since I am only familar with grid tie installs.

I do like Cariboocoots idea of making your own. what parts would I buy and where can I get them at?
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    techntrek wrote: »
    (the larger one has a bogus review on it so I didn't want to link to it).

My favorite part of that review:
    The only thing I had a hard time with was that it had wheels on the bottom and we were in the desert sand. Not helpful for us but not many people would use it the sand I guess, perhaps. My fiance just picked it up and moved it over, problem solved.

Product weight 655 lbs, and no handles....
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Okay, so she's engaged to The Incredible Hulk. :p
  • techntrek
    Options

lol