eliminating inverter buzz

I'm just installed a small off grid system in a quiet remote cabin and the inverter buzz is terrible!!! It is a Magnum MMAE 1512. It works great but the sound of it makes it miserable to use! It is installed in the basement and can be heard clearly on the first floor. Does anyone know of a "quiet" inverter. I have been told that all transformer based inverters will buzz. Are there any good non transformer inverters?

Comments

• Coach Dad
    Coach Dad Solar Expert Posts: 154 ✭✭
    Re: eliminating inverter buzz

I know this doesn't answer your question but perhaps it will give you an idea.
    I have a Magnum 4024PAE inverter and it buzzes too and it ticks when it is in seach mode.
    I mounted it in the shed. So I can't hear it unless I go in the shed.
    I also have the charge controller and batteries in there.

Is that an option?
  • TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭

How old is the inverter? I feel like mine made noise but is getting better.. maybe I'm crazy and getting used to it.
  • unicornio
    unicornio Solar Expert Posts: 217 ✭✭

not is a good solution to have equipment so close, it is impossible to eliminate inverter hum and noise of the fans, so you have a big problem, and will living in the country listening the noisy trolls... :-)
    maybe you can move the equipment to a small sack that are a bit away from your home?...
  • Shadowcatcher
    Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

I am pleased with our Morningstar Suersine which is virtually silent.
    One lesson learned from efforts to silence my water pump, most sound is transmitted and in the case of our trailer the pump was screwed to the plywood floor a perfect sounding board. I used bubble mounts to isolate the pump and will use flex tubing to isolate from the PEX tubing. The Bubble mounts I used are from http://www.barrycontrols.com/products/product.cfm?cid=4

Were it me I would build an enclosure with sound absorbing material and use a labyrinth air intake and outlet with fan(s), But I would try the bubble mounts first.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Or use a mouse pad, that is what many use to silence their pump.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • KEE-MAN
    KEE-MAN Registered Users Posts: 2

Thanks for the input. I just got four rubber feet and am going the route of enclosure with a baffled vent duct.
    Wish me luck!
  • Fullpower
    Fullpower Solar Expert Posts: 69 ✭✭

My OUTBACK is pretty loud, installed it 2003, thought something was wrong with it. Still working fine, but I stuck it in an underground bunker, last year. That quieted it right down.