"some regions will see up to 17 percent more daylight as a result"
Hummmm What has our governments done for us lately? :D:D:D
http://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/russia-winter-time.html

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Russia in the lead again!

Trust the Russians to get it wrong. :p
    Maybe our Government could let us go back to Standard Time and stay there, just as Sandford Fleming intended! :D

(It's a Canadian thing.)
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Solar power efficiency should get a huge boost in Russia as a result:
    "some regions will see up to 17 percent more daylight as a result"
    Hummmm What has our governments done for us lately? :D:D:D
    http://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/russia-winter-time.html

There is actually a reasonable explanation for this, with a small rewrite to allow for translation errors:

"people in some regions will see up to 17 percent more daylight as a result"
    That is, the people will be awake during more of the daylight and therefore will see it!

And we all know that it takes solar PV cells awhile to wake up once the coffee pot is turned on.
    Solar energy production will increase because the sun will be out more during the times that heavy loads will exist. (Since their system use neither grid-tie nor batteries?)

Always trying to find a reasonable explanation, even when none exists.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

I still think that if the Russian Government can pass a law that increases daylight by 17%, our government should be able to do the same for us! But I suppose Russia doesn't have to deal with environmentalists and their protests at lengthening the day. :D:D:D
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    I still think that if the Russian Government can pass a law that increases daylight by 17%, our government should be able to do the same for us! :D:D:D

I'm sorry, but that is one of the advantages of a totalitarian government. :-)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i remember many moons ago while in high school that our state tried eliminating the dst. i was in class up to my 2nd period with near total darkness outside. it really didn't matter to me much anyway as i really didn't wake up from being one of the walking dead until noon anyway.:D the only real way to eliminate the problem is to allow each work day be smaller time-wise. 6hrs or 7hrs rather than 8hrs and that won't work unless the governments would force wages to be upped to compensate for the lost wages, but then industry would lose out and be forced to raise prices. (like they aren't high enough?)

in any case, the light seen by people may increase, but the overall amount of daylight one receives for pv will not increase.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »

in any case, the light seen by people may increase, but the overall amount of daylight one receives for pv will not increase.

Oh CRAP! That sucks! That means it wouldn't work for us either then?
    Hahahahahaha