Newbie with a question.

Options
dakotafxst
dakotafxst Registered Users Posts: 3
I have a 12v generator/starter from a ezgo golf cart that i would like to make a wind generator out of. Would this motor work? My biggest worry is wind speed to turn it fast enough. What size blades should i use?
two.jpg 110.2K

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Newbie with a question.

We have a few people here that build their own wind--But it is not a strength of this forum... You might try this links:

Wind Power Links
    www.otherpower.com (good forum for DIY Wind Power)
    Hugh Piggott - Scoraig Wind Electric site for tons of info (from mike90045)
    www.greenpowertalk.org (added from "russ"--Like here but more wind/less solar)

The big problem with typical motor driven generators and alternators is they they require high RPM's for full load output. "Transmissions" to increase RPM are usually a significant source of losses.

Do you have any idea of the hight of tower, size of blades, amount of wind for your location (typical and storms), and how much power you want to collect?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • dakotafxst
    Options

Thank you for the links, i am extremely new to this and doing alot of reading.
    i will be mounting the generator to the roof of my shop. The peak is around 15ft plus maybe 4 more feet for the wind generetor.
    Id say average wind speed is at least 15mph, and storm speeds at an extreme would be 75mph or higher. I live in rural North Dakota.
    Im doing this as a hobby, so failures would just be a learning experience. Probably enough to charge 2 marine batterys and run a inverter and power some shop lights etc.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Welcome to the forum.

Beware, I am not a fan of small wind--So take my warnings with a grain of salt.

Normally, do not attach your turbine to a building. The noise will drive you nuts, possibly damage the structure (assuming nail and stick construction--may require a dynamic load calculation by a structural engineer if you are required to pull a permit), and you will have poor air flow (turbulent airflow from build and near by obstructions will make it almost impossible to collect any useful amount of energy).

The general recommendation is to install the turbine on a 60 foot minimum tower, 500 feet away and 30 feet above any local up wind obstructions. The trees in your area should be "flagging" form prevailing winds (some areas do not have prevailing winds--so that may be difficult measure to use).

If you have lightning in the area--prepare for that too.

I will add these cautionary links:

Small windpower a scam ? Survey says SO
    Truth About Skystream & SWWP

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

THe biggest mistake folks make with small scale wind, is over estimating thier wind potential. If you don't have an AVERAGE of 12 mph you will have virtually no production. The blades may spin, but you won't get any useable power. The dirty little secret of small scale wind is that if you have enough wind to be useful, you have TOO MUCH for most of the hardware to have much reliability.

Small scale wind lives in a tough environment, and service is difficult. They are subjected to large live loads, gusting produces large swings in loading, causing hardware failures. Large scale wind on the other hand tend to be tall, less subject to gusting, and they then turn at a constant (slow) speed.

Are there folks who can effectively use small scale wind? Sure, there are exceptions to every rule, but dollar for dollar, in the long term, a PV array will deliver more kwh at less cost per kwh. Feel free to pursue your ideas, but realize the limitations. Playing with and experimenting with things is always fun, and educational, but if you are looking for long term reliable off grid power,, PV bets small scal wind hads down in most cases.

Good luck and keep in touch,

Tony

Ps. Welcome to the forum
  • erne
    erne Solar Expert Posts: 41
    Options

A consideration for that type of motor you might want to consider a auto differential and run the blades on the hub and a pulley (30 inch or so) on the input. a 4/11 or 5/56 type. You cut the other axle and weld it solid to the housing to lock the spider gears to the blade axel. I did this with a multi blade and the solidity controls the rpm’s. I am in a low wind area and had to go big to get the power I needed. Also the rural electrification act has yet to arrive. When solar panels came out I thought I had died and gone to heaven.
  • dakotafxst
    Options

Thank you for all the info. I am still going to attempt a small wind generator setup. One change i will be doing is mounting it away from my shop, but probably only 15ft high or so. I eventually want to get a solar setup as well, once again just for a hobby. Maybe 2 100watt panels and my wind generator. once again doesnt need to be perfect, more for my entertainment. thanks again for everyones help.