AGS wire sizing

Hi everyone,
Have a Magnum AGS-N to install in a few days and I have a few questions on wire size from the gen to the inverter/AGS. I'll need 4 wires: two for generator start and two others wires for positive signal sense and negative from monitored battery bank. I think I'll have a 100 feet length between gen and AGS/inverter.
I think I could use 12AWG but maybe a smaller wire could do the job :confused:.
Could you help?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Erik

Comments

• Joe_B
    Joe_B Solar Expert Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: AGS wire sizing

For signal (control) wires, 22 gauge should be sufficient. Since the start, stop and sense all carry negligable current, they do not need to be very heavy. I have a honda genny with 4 wire control and I use 22 gauge and it goes 50 feet with no issues.
  • SolarMusher
    SolarMusher Solar Expert Posts: 176 ✭✭✭

Thanks for your input Joe,
    Did you find this 22AWG wire for burial use, or did you use it in conduit?
    Erik
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭

Erik, according to the manual link can be found here: http://www.magnumenergy.com/Products/AGS-N.htm

It requires 16 to 12 gauge. I notice that they sell a 60 ft temp probe to go with it, so I assume that 16 gauge would work for at least 60 ft. Maybe you should use 14 gauge since you are going 100 ft.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • SolarMusher

Hi Vt,
    I think you're right with 14AWG for 100ft. Do you think it could be better to run it in conduit? It's my first time with an AGS. I need it to start a brand new Ecogen 6kw propane gen but never did it and I would like to make a nice job.
    Thanks,
    Erik
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

If you are digging a trench anyway--I would suggest burying one or two conduits too. I even have used large diameter ABS sewer pipe so I can pull other cables later (may not be to code--Get real PVC burial rated conduit for at least your 120/240 VAC circuits).

Remember to leave an extra pull cord in the pipe to make it easier the next time.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • SolarMusher

Hi Bill,
    Is it correct to run all these wires (240VAC + 48VDC pos/neg + gen start) in the same conduit or do I need two to be code compliant?
    Erik
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Bill,
    Is it correct to run all these wires (240VAC + 48VDC pos/neg + gen start) in the same conduit or do I need two to be code compliant?
    Erik

AC power wires should not share conduit with DC or low current wires. The 240 VAC may induce signals in the other wires. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • SolarMusher

Ok, lesson learned. one conduit for AC and the other for DC.
    So it's better to install the gen as close as possible to the system to keep the installation costs low. Hope this Ecogen is really quiet...
    Thanks Vt and Bill for your help,
    Erik
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

I BELIEVE (am not a real Code guru) that DC/Control cables CAN inhabit the same conduit as AC wiring, IF the DC/Control cables have the same or greater voltage rating as the AC cables. It is uncommon to find the control and communication cables with a 600 VAC rating, but not impossible. It is probably not good practice to run these two classes of conductors in the same conduit, anyway.

But, crosstalk can fairly easily occur between closely spaced PVC conduits, anyway.

PVC conduit IS inexpensive, more and larger is usually better. YMMV, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • SolarMusher

Excuse me, Vic I didn't see your post.
    I will follow your advices and use two conduits for this Ecogen.
    I'll post some picture after the job :cool:
    Thanks all for your advices,
    Erik