Help finding someone that repairs Generators

charly1980
charly1980 Registered Users Posts: 1
We have a propane backup generator and it seems to have a fuel issue. I had the Propane regulators replaced, put in new wires and spark plugs, but can't get the generator to start. Not having any luck finding anyone in Arizona (Prescott area) to work on it. It's a Cummins Onan. We are off grid, wind and solar and the cloudy days are killing us!!

any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Help finding someone that repairs Generators

First,, start with the simple.
    Pull a plug and se if you get spark at the plugs. Even new plugs are known to fail. If you have spark, (and I assume that you have compression then you have to suspect fuel. Try this (carefully). Remove the air cleaner ( assuming it too is clean!) and while you crank the engine, use a small propane torch, (unlit of course!) and blow propane in the carb throat and see if it fires. If it does, I would suspect fuel pressure issues.

I don't have a lot of experience with propane gennies, but one problem that I know crops up on RVs is that they have an atmospheric vent on the regulator and if that is plugged, you can get erratic running, and no start. This is generally a nylon/plastic sock that fits over the end of a tube sitting in atmosphere. Try cleaning that.

I also assume the tank is turned on, and that there is propane in the tank. Do you run it on liquid or vapor. It is possible that regulator is freezing up.

Failing all that, I would ask the question here:

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1

These guys are pretty sharp, and experienced.

Good luck, and keep in touch,

Tony

A model numbe would be helpful.

T
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

You might also look for a place that repairs propane powered forklifts. Perhaps that can help (at least with the diagnosis).

I have a friend with a couple of older propane powered lifts--And it has been a pain to get them running reliably.

One had a bad ignition coil, another had a bad vaporizer (used to "boil" the liquid propane to vapor prior to the carburettor with hot water from the engine water jacket). Even then, I am not sure I would say they are running great.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭

May try a RV dealership.
  • icarus

It has been my experience that RV "techs" no little if anything about Onans, unless you are lucky. I had a friend that had an issue with his. They wanted to replace the control board, when it was a simple plugged atmospheric vent,, a five second fix!

My Onan guy famously said,," they can screw them up just changing the oil!"

Tony
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

never mind, typo fixed.

-Bill ;)
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus

See edit below,, that should be " they (RV Techs) can SCREW them up just changing the oil!

darn IPad auto correct,, and I dont see it in a quick proof read!

Sorry!

Tony
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

On a few that I have heard about , the fuel (Gas solenoid ) have lost enough pull on strength. (Power given but no internal movement / click,not always heard)
    Not just yours , but a rash of different manufactures. If Mr tonys , propane bottle trick gets its kicking & farting , then than is one area I would check .

VT
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

Call Simonsen Generators in Tucson who may be able to refer you to a local Prescott area qualified tech.

My experience with servicing generators from afar it's expensive.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers