Copper Buss Bar and Fusing??

ywhic
ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭
I bought a Bluesea 250 amp fuse and mount.. I also have an 250 amp ANL fuse and mount..

Fuses.jpg

One of them will be going to a Bluesea battery switch before the inverter..

I bought some insulators and copper 1/4" thick..

copperBB.jpg

I want to use the Bluesea fuse but I think it would look WAY stacked.. heres the way it is..

Fuse2.jpg

Should I try and flatten the compression terminal??

Anyway, I got the idea from 2manytoys for the copper barstock.. which is great for expansion..

The ANL fusing he has on his system looks smooth.. though I now own the Bluesea fuse/mount..

For a single battery install the Bluesea is a perfect fit.. for the copper terminal strip I dunno..

Suggestions..

Comments

• ywhic
    Re: Copper Buss Bar and Fusing??

I may have figured a simple fix.. took about 5 minutes to think of..

Invert the compression terminal.. nothing touches the fuse sides.. and this will be elevated on the copper strip..

InvertTerminal.jpg

Only idea I can come up with.. anyone else have a better idea??
  • H2SO4_guy
    H2SO4_guy Solar Expert Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

Where did you get the 1/4" thick copper? That looks great and I am wanting to make some buss bars, I purchased some of the buss bars from NAWS, but they are kind of limited and don't allow as many things on them. They look kind of like a neutral buss or ground buss in an AC box like a Square D sort of. They do include insulators to mount them which is cool.

Thanks in advance,

Skip
    12K asst panels charging through Midnite Classic 150's, powering Exeltechs and Outback VFX-3648 inverter at 12 and 48 volts.  2080 AH @ 48 VDC of Panasonic Stationary batteries (2 strings of 1040 AH each) purchased for slightly over scrap, installed August 2013.  Outback PSX-240X for 220 volt duties.  No genny usage since 2014. 
  • ywhic

Copper from Amazon for 2' is $25.. OnlineMetals.. or Metals4uonline.. ($14.77/foot)..

1" Insulators from EBAY 4 for $8.25 shipped..

Heres the latest picture (waiting on the copper now).. 1 side will be 9" and the ground side 11" (for extra 'grounds')

panel1.jpg

Mounting the battery switch and the charge controller breaker all on the same board.. nice and close.. (but not too close).

Be adding a Plexi cover like 2ManyToys did as well..
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭

The copper bus bars I've been using have been in service a few years now. I used a little Nev-R-Dull copper polish (available at Ace Hardware) to protect the copper from tarnishing here in FL. I made sure to buff all the residue off. Hasn't oxidized at all. The Military often referred to this polish as "wad pull". Smells like Brasso, and is a roll of cotton. Pull out a chunk, polish the brass, throw it away. http://www.nevrdull.com/

The fuses & holders I'm using now are the Class-T version from Blue Sea. The cover was removed from one fuse holder for the picture.

dscn7291.jpg

These fuses are massive. That's 4/0 cable feeding it. I finally sourced 1" wide heat shrink so I could finish up the cables. About a $1 per foot. Comes in 4' lengths. Bunch of colors available. http://shop.vetcosurplus.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1236

Your project is coming together!
  • EagleOne
    EagleOne Registered Users Posts: 16

Here is a link to a site that sells the kits, but they are kind of pricey judging by the quotes above on Amazon.

http://store.electrical-insulators-and-copper-ground-bars.com/ground-bar.html

I think this is where I got mine from, I can't remember but I know I bought something from them. Their name is Storm Copper. Goto stormcopper.com if the other link doesn't work.
  • ywhic

Thanks..

I went with the Bluesea fuse also.. the little square one.. (I hang onto the other type as a backup setup...)

I figure 10 connections on the HOT side and 12 connections on the NEG side.

I reserved some of the HIGHER area of the board connections for extra controllers and 'grounds'..

Amz shipped my metal today.. be here Wed.. Classic 150 controller is due in tommorrow :cool:
  • ywhic

Heres the final pic minus the plexi cover that will be added maybe this weekend..

I have 9 unused + holes and 11 unused - holes..

board2.jpg

It worked out well as the Bluesea mounted right on the bus bar and to the side of the switch..