Best Way to Check and Water Batteries

Options
Caneman
Caneman Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭✭✭
I am ready to check the SG and water my wet cell batteries... they are 4 weeks old now... from advice on the forum i got a refractometer and it seems really easy to use... what is the easiest way to water each cell and 1) how to i know if it needs water, and 2) high much water do i put in?

are those battery watering jugs worthwhile?

Attachment not found.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Best Way to Check and Water Batteries

Water level can be difficult to explain in words, but pretty easy to understand in practice.
    First, it has to always be above the plates.
    Second, there's a "fill neck" inside each cell which reaches not quite to the plates. It will have a slit up each side. The correct water level is when it touches the bottom of this tube.

Someone has just got to draw a picture of this for posting on the forum! It's a very good recurring question.

I've always managed with a small measuring cup. Usually batteries don't need much water and trying to fill with a large jug can be a problem in some locations. Another way is to suck the distilled water up in the hydrometer and squirt it carefully into the cell until the level is right.

Others will have their own suggestions based on their experiences.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Also, fill battery after it is (mostly) charged and warm. Filling a cold battery may cause it to overflow when it warms up.

I like to fill mine near the end of absorb. First I shut off the controller so the battery is not bubbling while I fill it. Then I let the controller finish absorbing for at least 10 minutes so that the bubbling will mix the electrolyte.
    Another way is to suck the distilled water up in the hydrometer and squirt it carefully into the cell until the level is right.
    Don't try that with your refractometer! :p
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Some folks get a head lamp to check water levels--Frees up one of your hands to do the other work required.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Caneman wrote: »
    I am ready to check the SG and water my wet cell batteries... they are 4 weeks old now... from advice on the forum i got a refractometer and it seems really easy to use... what is the easiest way to water each cell and 1) how to i know if it needs water, and 2) high much water do i put in?

are those battery watering jugs worthwhile?

Attachment not found.
    Check the length of the spout on that type of waterer and make sure it's not pushing down on the plates to release the water. It will bend the top of the plates and separators over and short out a battery. It has a spring that takes some force to open. You can cut off a little bit of the spout if needed. Been There, for me they don't hold enough water, but they won't overfill.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

A sports bottle works quite well. Pull the plug, and squeeze in as needed, refill from a gallon distiller jug.

T.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm of the headlight group, it's great to have a hand free to write numbers down. A 1 cup measuring cup pours just fine and you can keep track of how much each cell is using over time.

Ralph
  • silvertop
    silvertop Solar Expert Posts: 155 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Some folks get a head lamp to check water levels--Frees up one of your hands to do the other work required.

-Bill

I like the head lamp idea, but I have tried the filler jug and sometimes I can overfill if I tilt it, so I just went back to using a new paper cup.
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭
    Options

I initially used a lab squirt bottle. But it held so little water, it had to be frequently refilled to top off 8 golf cart batteries.

dscn4095.jpg

I then got lazy, and found using a small funnel held in one hand, and the jug of distilled water in the other, I could very quickly fill all the cells. As soon as the water starts flowing out of the bottom of the funnel, it is lifted slightly so I can watch the battery water level rise as it fills. This method makes almost no mess.

dscn6024.jpg

I always fill to the bottom of the slit of the collar inside the battery fill hole.

fillcap.jpg

Here in sunny FL, I have to add water to mine every month this time of year.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I do use a jug similar to the photo -- holds two Liters in my case. The snout is quite short on all of these that I've seen, as they are really designed for typical Gr 24/27 batteries. On mine, did extend the snout with some tubing, as the Vent Wells on most batts here are taller than car batts. Tilting the fill Jug should only make the slightest difference in max fill level, as the fill stops as the water level rises and shuts off inlet air. No more air being admitted, no more water going into the cell.

Use a small single AA celled Flashlight to allow good view into the cell, and of the Hydro if needed.

Usually fill in the Float stage, as filling when in Asorb, even if the Asorb is paused, can cause the cells that need the most water to wind up with the least H2O. The highest SG cells do the most bubbling in Asorb. These bubbles raise the water level by displacement, so less water goes into the higher SG cells (which tend to use the most water). Waiting until later in the day, or even better, at the beginning of a charge cycle allows the bubbles subside. Some have concerns about heat of recharge and bubbling in Asorb to raise the water level enough to cause electrolyte loss, but here, temp rises less than 2 degrees C per typical charge cycle. An EQ can raise the temps a bit more, BUT increases in ambiant temps are usually a larger factor than recharge/EQ temp rise.

Surrette recomments that for an EQ that water levels be checked before starting EQ, and fill about half way through EQ, but always fill prior to EQ here. For a Corrective EQ -- one which can take many, many hours, am certain that checking before start and several times along the way would be good.

Ralph, am impressed that you record the water refill quantity. Had thought about that, but decided to forus MY obsession elsewhere.

BTW, when comissioning a new bank it is good to note the fill level of each cell, resting voltage of each cell or battery and record, measure and RECORD SGs of each cell before using the bank. The data should be placed in the battery bank Log, and retained for the life of the battery bank. But Caneman, you have probably already done this. YMMV, Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Vic
    I was glad I kept records of added H2O a couple of years ago. I had 2 cells go bad in my bank, their sg's would not rise beyond 1.19 or 1.2 no matter how much eq charging I did. The fact that I| could tell Surrette Tech help that they consumed next to no water starting x number of months before helped in the warranty claim. There is seldom a difference of about 50ml between cells when done. I keep the watering to the middle of the month and the sg check to the end of the month. That way I'm not getting too concentrated an sg reading (too optimistic a reading) . Having a monthly reading for each cell keeps you up on any problems developing.

I currently have 4 cells that are laggers...they charge slower than the rest of the bank. In order to get them to the level of the others would require too much charging for the rest of the bank. What I do is put a regular automotive battery charger (6v) accross 3 x 2v cells to add a little more charge running off the excess power available during absorb and float. Also a single cell charger built specially for me by me with help from a friend. The bank stays pretty much even accross the board now. A period of cloudy wet weather and I float them off the utility power, then they all stay quite healthy, but in the 1.27-1.275 range. A day of cycling the bank will bring them back to the 1.265 range.

I know the 2 cells replaced were sulfated beyond correction, the 4 laggers now are going the same way. I won't be replacing any individual cells anymore. I was hoping the Surrettes would last 20 years, but I started off treating them badly (deficit charging) and wish I'd started off with a training bank. That was before I'd found the NAWS forum. A for instance: If the sg reading on the hydrometer was low I'd resample until it was better (if bubbles were on the float it would float higher and give a higher reading:blush:) A mentor would have helped at that time.

Ralph
  • rplarry
    rplarry Solar Expert Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Options

Here is Trojans answer to your question.

Watering (Flooded batteries only)

Flooded batteries need water. More importantly, watering must be done at the right time and in the right amount or else the battery's performance and longevity suffers.

Water should always be added after fully charging the battery. Prior to charging, there should be enough water to cover the plates. If the battery has been discharged (partially or fully), the water level should also be above the plates. Keeping the water at the correct level after a full charge will prevent having to worry about the water level at a different state of charge.

Depending on the local climate, charging methods, application, etc. Trojan recommends that batteries be checked once a month until you get a feel for how thirsty your batteries are.

Important things to remember:

1. Do not let the plates get exposed to air. This will damage (corrode) the plates.

2. Do not fill the water level in the filling well to the cap. This most likely will cause the battery to overflow acid, consequently losing capacity and causing a corrosive mess.

3. Do not use water with a high mineral content. Use distilled or deionized water only.

CAUTION: The electrolyte is a solution of acid and water so skin contact should be avoided.

Step by step watering procedure:

1. Open the vent caps and look inside the fill wells.

2. Check electrolyte level; the minimum level is at the top of the plates.

3. If necessary add just enough water to cover the plates at this time.

4. Put batteries on a complete charge before adding any additional water (refer to the Charging section).

5. Once charging is completed, open the vent caps and look inside the fill wells.

6. Add water until the electrolyte level is 1/8" below the bottom of the fill well.

7. A piece of rubber can be used safely as a dipstick to help determine this level.

8. Clean, replace, and tighten all vent caps.

WARNING: Never add acid to a battery.

Their complete guide to battery maintenance can be found here: http://www.trojanbattery.com/Tech-Support/BatteryMaintenance.aspx
    HtH
    Larry
  • Vic
    Options

Hi Ralph,

Am a bit tardy in getting back to this thread.

I DO see the value in measuring the water replenished into each cell, and had thought of making a graduate for doing this, but had thought that then would need a recorder to accpet the dictation of those values. That, plus my imprecision in the exact fill level made me think that it would not be of great value. Am glad that this data did help you convince Surrette about some warranty replacement cells.

I do have a couple of lagging cells -- the ones that were originally nominated as Pilot cells -- one for each bank -- plus one additional on in one of the banks which one day showed up as low-ish SG. Nothing that I've done to this one cell has helped a lot in changing this. I, too, have a single cell DC charger, and have removed the cover on this one battery to allow easy access to both termainals of this cell. I have a spare cell that is dry, and needs Activation (may ask you/others about this an a new Thread). I do need to replace this cell, as it cannot be good for the rest of the bank. When time permits, I charge this cell from my home made DC charger, running from the inverter on the batteries in the same bank... Perpetual Monion (?), oh, not.

I play games with fill levels, a bit less water into the lagging cells and a bit too much (and perhaps more often) in the high SG cells. I do like your approach on recording SG at the mid time between fills.

Sorry to hear of your additional laggers, no fun! The two main Surrette banks are about 6.6 years old, and hope they will hang in there a lot longer.

Good Luck, and thanks for the detailed info on your strategies on care and manitenance. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I use a Plews filler bottle.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • Vic
    Options

Hi Mangas,

I thought you had an AutoWatering system. Mabe that was just on your first bank, or mabe I'm loosing bits of 'storage', Vic
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Vic,

No, I'm the "automatic" watering system. 64 batteries takes about an hour and a half with the Plews bottle.

I did look at the auto waterers but decided manual is more practical and reliable with so many batteries

With the goggles, apron and gloves I could be confused with a mad scientist.

As posted before these new L16 REBs' use very little water over the older version. I could probably get by watering one to two times a year using about 4-5 gallons each time. Right now, I do it three times a year. We'll see over the longer haul.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • Vic
    Options

OK Mangas,

Thanks, guess that my merory is fading.

Great to hear that the REBs use so much less water. Have fun and keep cool. Vic