What else do I need?

aleman83
aleman83 Registered Users Posts: 24
Good Morning everybody,

I have put together a array, controller and battery with the help of Bill. Thank you very much again!!! I tried to get some more information as in what else I need to hook myself up except for the cables of course, but haven't been to successful in finding out.

My setup looks like this till now:

1 Midnite Solar Classic Lite 200 MPPT
3 Kyocera KD315GX-LPB 315
1 6-125-15 Industrial Fork Lift Battery 12 volts, 1095 Ah

What else do I need to get myself hooked up? Is there special connectors I need to connect to the panels? Or can I connect the wires directly to the panels? Also I want to connect the panels in series. What type of combiner box do I need? Or do I need one at all? Sepcial brakers for connecting the panels in series? Brakers, fuses, lighting arrestors for where exactly? I'd be very greatful for your advise!

Have a great day everybody,

Aleman

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: What else di I need?

Aleman,

Take a look at the Solar subsection of "2manytoyz's" website... He has a lot of photos of his system and will give you an idea of all of the BOS (Balance of System) components that go into making a "simple" DC/AC/Solar system.

There are other "off the shelf" solutions (such as E-Panels from Midnite solar and other folks) that can make wiring out your system much simpler (for a first-timer, finding all the components, a place to mount them, schematics, etc.). But, for a "small" solar PV system, they probably are not cost effective. But they will give you some more ideas.

If you are putting the three panels in series, then you do not need any breakers/combiner boxes for the array (although, NEC may require a DC disconnect switch, and you may want one. DC GFI system--I don't recommend doing it--that that is just me, I don't think it is 'safe').

Do you have lightning in your area?

You can order "pre-wired/tested" systems from full service vendors (like NAWS), however the added costs may be too much (shipping/duties/etc.).

It is always the "first system" where you learn. Being you are not in the US, it might be better for your first system to get as much pre-wired/pre-configured by a retailer so you have everything you need on site and ready to install (do you need to finish the install quickly or can you take a few weeks to reorder missing/wrong/forgotten parts, etc.).

The next system, you will have your original parts lists plus experience--So you can do it on your own much easier

And what is the end result you are looking for? There are "beautiful" systems with conduit and boxes... And there are functional systems mounted to a sheet-rocked plywood panel (sheet-rock to add a bit of fire resistance)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ywhic
    ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭

Most people use 10 AWG wire on there solar panels.. if you panels have MC4 leads on them find MC4 wires that are 10 AWG and long enough to do the job..

Most people figure there length they need and buy a double length extension cable with MC4s on it.. then cut it in half.. then you have a + and - of the length of wire you need..

Combiner boxes makes thing much nicer and easier to put breakers/fuses in for the panels..

Make sure you use a breaker before the controller and before the battery bank as well.. can't be too safe..

Are you doing 12, 24, or 48 V system??

If 12V you need some monster thick wire usually in the 2/0 3/0 or 4/0 range for most big inverters over 1000 watts.. and the fusing is usually big also.. like 120-150 amp for the same 1000w inverter.. my planned 2000 w inverter calls for a 250 amp fuse..

For a 24v system your wiring can be lighter.. like 2 AWG or 4 AWG.. and fusing is cut in half about..
    1000 watt would be like 60-80 amp fusing.. 2000 watt like 120 amp fusing..
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    aleman83 wrote: »
    Good Morning everybody,

I have put together a array, controller and battery with the help of Bill. Thank you very much again!!! I tried to get some more information as in what else I need to hook myself up except for the cables of course, but haven't been to successful in finding out.

My setup looks like this till now:

1 Midnite Solar Classic Lite 200 MPPT
    3 Kyocera KD315GX-LPB 315
    1 6-125-15 Industrial Fork Lift Battery 12 volts, 1095 Ah

What else do I need to get myself hooked up? Is there special connectors I need to connect to the panels? Or can I connect the wires directly to the panels? Also I want to connect the panels in series. What type of combiner box do I need? Or do I need one at all? Sepcial brakers for connecting the panels in series? Brakers, fuses, lighting arrestors for where exactly? I'd be very greatful for your advise!

Have a great day everybody,

Aleman

Three more of those panels and another controller would be favourite. 945 Watts will deliver only about 60 Amps peak, which is roughly 6% charge rate on a pretty darn big battery. I do not think it's going to work well at that rate, especially if loads are drawn during charging. Just my opinion. Feel free to ignore it. It isn't my money that went into that battery. :p

The panels will have MC4 connectors and so you'll want some MC4 cables to make into "pigtails" to connect them to the controller input. At 39.8 Vmp all three can be in series (they'll just plug together + to -), so no fusing or breaker is needed there. The output of the charge controller should have a breaker or fuse & disconnect rated for the expected output. In this case that would be roughly an 80 Amp breaker or fuse.

Do you need lightning arrestors? How active is Thor in your area? Delta's arrestors are effective and inexpensive at about $40 and you could put one on the panel leads. If there's more such activity you may want the MidNite arrestors which are about $80. These things are not necessary to function and do not guarantee no damage from lightning but they will reduce the risk.

Of particular importance is measuring the wire runs from panel to controller and from controller to battery to make sure you get the right size wire that will handle both the expected current and the Voltage without too much drop. With all three panels in series you'll be running about 120 Vmp @ 8 Amps from the array, so that should not be too big of a concern. 12 AWG could handle it up to 100 feet.

How are we doing so far? :D
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭

I think you would be much better off putting those panels in parallel (unless your panels are very far from the controller). Controllers are happier when they don't have to down convert very high voltages. Just because your classic can down convert 200 volts to 12 volts doesn't mean its a good idea. Using high voltage into a classic works better when your battery is 48 volts.
    --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    ywhic wrote: »
    Most people use 10 AWG wire on there solar panels.. if you panels have MC4 leads on them find MC4 wires that are 10 AWG and long enough to do the job..

Most people figure there length they need and buy a double length extension cable with MC4s on it.. then cut it in half.. then you have a + and - of the length of wire you need..

Measure before you cut. Usually you will need one of the home run cables to be a lot longer than the other. :D
  • aleman83
    aleman83 Registered Users Posts: 24
    BB. wrote: »
    Aleman,

Take a look at the Solar subsection of "2manytoyz's" website... He has a lot of photos of his system and will give you an idea of all of the BOS (Balance of System) components that go into making a "simple" DC/AC/Solar system.

Thank you very much! That is just the link I needed to get a different option on how do things yourself when you live far away from civilization ;)

Aleman