Adding AGM to existing Trojan Flooded 12V

Solarbusting
Solarbusting Registered Users Posts: 1
after just buying a brand new Trojan SC200 12v flooded Battery for a 2010 Class C Motorhome I am thinking about adding an AGM battery - mostly because I don't have an addl. battery bay and probably would want to mount the battery "Maintenance free" underneath the chassis.

Setup:
- newer 2010 e-450 with onan 4000 generator
- charger: unknown brand - thinking about upgrading to a 60amp magnum or so to minimize generator run time
- 15A MPPT solar charger, currently set for flooded+equalize (which I could change…)

is it advisable at all to mix flooded and AGM?

Comments

• Joe_B
    Joe_B Solar Expert Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Adding AGM to existing Trojan Flooded 12V
    is it advisable at all to mix flooded and AGM?

The simple answer is no,, they have different charging parameters.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Joe is right. They will not play well together and one, or both of them will suffer and be damaged as a result.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

even if they were the same type of battery, it is not advisable to mix unlike battery capacities either. it should be the same battery and within about a year or so of age to each other if not abused or heavily used. my advice is another sc200 and find a way to properly mount them both together. do be sure that they are getting a proper charge too as trojan advises about a 10% charge rate for most of their flooded batteries, but there is some wiggle room to that.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    even if they were the same type of battery, it is not advisable to mix unlike battery capacities either. it should be the same battery and within about a year or so of age to each other if not abused or heavily used. my advice is another sc200 and find a way to properly mount them both together. do be sure that they are getting a proper charge too as trojan advises about a 10% charge rate for most of their flooded batteries, but there is some wiggle room to that.
    As you say, it's not even a good idea to mix batteries of the same type and capacity but of different ages. Their internal resistance changes over time and that affects the charging current as well.