DM Solar 145w Panel Came In...

ywhic
ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭
I got panel #1 today via Fedex from Amazon.Com

Its the DMSolar 145w panel made in Taiwan.. 90% at 15 years.. yada yada.. for $140-160 shipped..

Heres the front..

145wattP1.jpg

and the rear label.. it has MC4 type connectors..

145WattSpecs.jpg

The specs don't match the website.. the numbers are higher..

145w 0-3%
Cells by GinTech
VMP 18
IMP 8.05
ISC 8.95
VOC 21.6

Testing at 25' C (77'F) and 1000 irradiance..

I measured it at the MC4 leads with my Harbor Freight FREE meter 20.2v and then crept upto 0.1 increments 20.5v as the sun poked thru the overcast here in NJ.. So its a little below the stated VOC.. which is fine as it was overcast..

I'll do a follow up testing amperage when I get my MC4 wire (duh) and then wire it to my TS-45 controller..

Of course Amazon is out.. till 6/25 or something..

Comments

• ywhic
    Re: DM Solar 145w Panel Came In...

UPDATE..

Got some partial VOC and ISC ratings this morning..

Heres the mini video review I just did at 7:30am..

[video=youtube_share;fPAdcWt75ao]http://youtu.be/fPAdcWt75ao[/video]

Panel730am.jpg

VOC.jpg

ISC.jpg

Hopefully this helps other that may be looking at these panels..
  • Volvo Farmer
    Volvo Farmer Solar Expert Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cannot find that product on Amazon. Got a link?
  • ywhic

The item is here.. but they are sold out.. they sold 440 panels in 5 days.. more may be in on 6/25..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VPQP5Q

Also..

The rated 17% eff rating for the cells is kinda close I guess..

I figured my actual numbers from this morning of 6.32*21.3= 134.61 watts..

I know this is AT the panel.. so down the line at the controller and to the battery will be not be as HIGH I am sure..

I am happy with the panel at this point with the number produced..
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

actually the isc and voc (fixed error in terms) cannot be multiplied together as those figures do not occur simultaneously under the same conditions. a 6.32a isc (sorry, meant isc not imp) is far off of the mark as it is supposed to be around 8.95a.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Correct, niel,

BUT, the Isc would prob be low, as it appears to be a casual test, fraily early in the AM, and the panel is prob not exactly square on the sun etc.

Know nothing of this mfg, but this IS a good price for a module of this power. 15 year warranty, IIRC, may be a bit short ... but.

Have Fun, A. ... Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • ywhic

I'll be checking the next panel when it comes in.. maybe I can get better sunlight... the weather has been rain in the afternoons as of late..

I noticed the IMP was climbing but I didn't want to stand by the driveway to long looking tooo stupid..

My angle for here is supposed to be 12-16% angle (I'm at 40.0014 Lat).. this was way off that angle..

Isn't IMP and VOC that is measured at the panel back or leads?? and thats how they come up with the rated numbers.. IMP*VOC=

I didn't mention VMP on this thread that I'm aware of or can see..

I also realize I may only get 75-80% of actual panel numbers (145w).. which would be 111.65w - 116w.. though I am thinking I will be at the 80% to the controller..

Thanks Vic.. 90% out to 15 years.. but I am thinking that would be the same as 80% at 20-25 years..
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Al,

The PV output is calculated by multiplying the Vmp X the Imp, but that is at exactly 1000 watts per square meter of solar intensity, AND at a cell temp of 25 degrees C (about 77 F). It is easy for us to measure Isc and Voc with meters, at the sun that we happen to have at the time of measurment. It is more difficult to do anything else, and the measurments that you took are a very good test of weather the module is good. Your PV module looks fine to me. Good luck with the project, OH, and fine on the warranty. Most PVs go decades and decades, quietly making power. Poor sealing is one of the things that can damage the cells and interconnections due to corrosion etc. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • ywhic

Got 3 more in just now via UPS.. voltage off the leads all were 21.5-21.6.. (the VOC rating is 21.6..)

215VOCPanels.jpg

All panels in.. now at 5.. Fed Ex scratched a corner of the frame (not the glass).. the boxes are dbl wall but thin.. not really made for the 32# lb weight..

Heres a picture of the Spec Sticker.. best I could get..

PanelSpecs.jpg

• nsaspook
    nsaspook Solar Expert Posts: 396 ✭✭✭

Mine came in too. Just opened box to look for damage and stored them in the shed for a later install. I'm thinking about using one to make a power-to-go box for camping.
  • ywhic

I did some videos of the panel.. 1 yesterday at 1:30pm and 85-89' F , and 1 today at 10:15 am and 80'F.

Produced 110-112W yesterday and 16.2AH in 2 hours..

[video=youtube_share;KelMmC8xOnA]http://youtu.be/KelMmC8xOnA[/video]

And today I got 15.42 & 15.23 volts in the AM as it was slightly cooler..

[video=youtube_share;dh62QQYa95g]http://youtu.be/dh62QQYa95g[/video]