Specific Gravity Meter

offgrid me
offgrid me Solar Expert Posts: 119 ✭✭
Is there any such thing as a constant specific gravity meter. By this I mean a way to have electrolite cycled through a SG meter so that one could get an instant reading from the batteries without having to open the caps. I know it would only monitor one cell but most of us only check our pilot cell regularly and the whole bank once a month. I would think this could be even more accurate than an electronic battery meter. Anyone try it. Thoughts
Ned

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Specific Gravity Meter

I've often thought the same or similar question. Why is there no great little device that would replace the battery cap, and constantly show the state of that cell. A quick visual scan would let us know the state of every cell.
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Sonnenschein actually do make some batteries exactly that does that . It has exterior tubes up the side of each cell with a ball that rises and falls for the different specific gravity. They heve been making them like that since the early 1970s . We have some of them at work 6v. I dont know of any other manufacturer that makes batteries like that.
  • john p

You can buy a electronic SG meter with multiple probes. BUT... aint there always a BUT.. The cost is way beyond most users. We have one at work that has 48 probes . it cost according to an engineer I just asked about $7000.. Kinda exe for a home user.
  • offgrid me
    offgrid me Solar Expert Posts: 119 ✭✭

What about a small fish type pump that would recirculate fluid from the bottom of the cell through a regular hydrometer then back to the top of the cell. It would also kind of act like a cell bubbler to mix electrolite. Heck dont most sealed automotive batteries have ball type hydometers already in them.
    Ned
  • john p

Your idea of a pump wont work. The fluid pressure would push the ball/s to the top of the hydrometer. Also fish tank air pumps wont pump fluid as the pumps dont have an inlet tube.:grr
    You would also need one pump per cell. Even if it did work and that is very soon going to consume a lot of batttery power