XW 6048 - F25 fault

Options
Dusty
Dusty Solar Expert Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
Twice in the last 3 days, I've received an F25 "over frequency" fault. My operations manual says it's a Grid Support (anti-islanding) fault.

I'm using the default frequency settings. Is this a common fault? This fault is caused by the utility power becoming out of spec, right? In other words, there's nothing in my configuration that could be causing the fault?
XW6048, 3.4KW PV, Grid-Tied, always tweaking.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: XW 6048 - F25 fault

In theory that should indicate that the utility power is drifting outside of range. But it is also possible to have a defective XW that reads the frequency wrong.

Do you have a Kill-A-Watt meter? (You should.) That will read frequency. You'll have to watch it a while and see if it really is fluctuating or if the Xantrex is reading wrong.

There are some things that can cause an inaccurate reading besides the Xantrex, but always check the obvious first: see if the utility frequency really is off spec.
  • Joe_B
    Joe_B Solar Expert Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When my XW is in grid support mode, it happens all the time. I called tech support about this about a year ago and they told me to enable load shaving. That was a useless piece of information as it did nothing to cure the fault. I have my frequency window opened up to the max with no avail. The nearest I can figure, it happens when there is noise on the line and it means nothing. Just live with it if you can, I do....
  • Dusty
    Options

I do have a kill-a-watt meter, so I'll give that a look. Thank you for the suggestion!

-Mark
    In theory that should indicate that the utility power is drifting outside of range. But it is also possible to have a defective XW that reads the frequency wrong.

Do you have a Kill-A-Watt meter? (You should.) That will read frequency. You'll have to watch it a while and see if it really is fluctuating or if the Xantrex is reading wrong.

There are some things that can cause an inaccurate reading besides the Xantrex, but always check the obvious first: see if the utility frequency really is off spec.
  • Dusty
    Options

Thanks Joe,

At the time it happened, I had Load Shaving enabled. I haven't touched the default settings for the frequency window, so I can adjust that if it gets to be a pain. Sounds like it did in your case!

-Dusty
    Joe_B wrote: »
    When my XW is in grid support mode, it happens all the time. I called tech support about this about a year ago and they told me to enable load shaving. That was a useless piece of information as it did nothing to cure the fault. I have my frequency window opened up to the max with no avail. The nearest I can figure, it happens when there is noise on the line and it means nothing. Just live with it if you can, I do....
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Joe_B wrote: »
    The nearest I can figure, it happens when there is noise on the line and it means nothing. Just live with it if you can, I do....

joe,
    maybe some filtering would work between the utility ac and the inverter. it really would depend on what frequency that noise is as to how effective a filtering effort might be.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    joe,
    maybe some filtering would work between the utility ac and the inverter. it really would depend on what frequency that noise is as to how effective a filtering effort might be.

My PVPowered inverters both faulted a couple times this week, at the time of the faults the line voltage shows a change upward. I think the grid was going through a Change during these faults,that the inverters saw as something to reset over. Both did the 300 sec countdown and restarted no problem.
  • Joe_B
    Joe_B Solar Expert Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Niel,

At this point I am using a contactor to disconnect me from the grid and run in invert mode most of the time. That and disabling the alarm beeper and you dont even care when the unit screws up!