31 Percent Anti-Dumping Tariffs Announced for Chinese Solar Panels

Options
1332-31-percent-anti-dumping-tariffs-announced-for-chinese-solar-panels.jpg The U.S. Department of Commerce on Thursday announced stiff anti-dumping tariffs of around 31 percent on crystalline silicon solar panels imported from China, leading to a new round of concerns on how the duties will impact the growing American solar industry.

More...

Comments

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: 31 Percent Anti-Dumping Tariffs Announced for Chinese Solar Panels

This is almost 100% guaranteed to raise the prices of all panels sold in the US, but no idea how much as of yet. Will probably takes a few weeks to work itself out.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

A bit of "locking the barn door after the horse has bolted" too. :roll:
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

In someways China might loose some of thier manufacturing jobs when some of the companys come back to us and canada. I saw those new GE geospring waterheaters at lowes fot $999.00. I paid 1295.00 for mine a couple years ago at sears with a 20% off sale. Ge moved the manufacturing back here because they say it is more economical to build them here after transit and everything else is factured in. At the gaswell meeting they said in china ng cost $60.00 for the same amount that sells here for $2.00. Time for us to get some of that money back from china we sent there. With low energy cost here and the great need for jobs I think some of our industry could come back. Industry is comeing back to eastern ohio because of the gas and oil boom. There are a lot of jobs that make the materials needed for the shale drilling. Probably our solar companys might be healthier instead of going bankrupt. solarvic
  • Dill
    Dill Solar Expert Posts: 170 ✭✭
    Options

the fact is manufacturing of electronics and things like solar panels is not competitive here. Labor costs are too high. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Chinese manufacturers moved plants to other countries to counter this. Dumb move IMO.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

And don't forget.... Only some PV manufacturers are 31%...

"The companies that chose not to participate were hit with a 250 percent tariff."

boB
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Options

Hmm I'm planning on installing a system soon, maybe I should buy now before prices raise in a few months
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hmm I'm planning on installing a system soon, maybe I should buy now before prices raise in a few months

Since these tariffs are retroactive, I wonder if prices for these modules may go up immediately except maybe for some dealer stock ??

I'm not positive about this, but it may be that the distributors will have to charge more right now.

boB
  • Windsun
    Options

Good question. 80% of our stock is Kyocera, so we only have a few hundred panels that might be affected.
  • ywhic
    ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭
    Options

Is Kyocera affected or not (there not from China correct)..?? Thats the brand I was looking at heavily..

I'm not going to be ready to buy for about 2 months.. I'd rather spend $1200-1300 then $1800..

I wish someone would do a 60 day 0% layaway.. I'd buy 6 130-140w panels now with a payment plan.. LoL..
  • Windsun
    Options
    ywhic wrote: »
    Is Kyocera affected or not (there not from China correct)..?? Thats the brand I was looking at heavily..

Kyocera is nearly all US/Japan/Mexico produced.
  • ywhic
    Options

Thats good then.. thats the brand I'm going to want shortly.. you guys are the front runner for the order..
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I doubt there is any clear answer yet, but does anyone know how the 90 day retro active is going to work? Will it only be to stock on hand? Will the suppier or merchant be responsible? Perhaps we're in for a bunch of quick sell offs of recently imported panels?
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Windsun
    Options

It would have no effect on the actual panels already in the US. Basically, the importer and/or mfg would be responsible for the extra duties. Since some of the tariffs run over 200%, I expect that some manufacturers will pull out of US sales completely.
  • ywhic
    Options

Just read something like a November 30th date in an email I got..

I'll be ordering something before then is all I know..
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I feel tarriffs are good. Our taxbreak money has been going out to countrys that still use slave labor. Our american companys have been getting the short end of the stick. I think there should be tarriffs on the components also. In my personal instance my employer that I am retired from got cheated by GE. Ge bought emron windmill at bankruptsy and started getting the components made in American foundrys. It was a hard learning curve developing the process,s that make castings that can pass the strict standards. A lot of foundrys couldn,t but our foundry could. So after we made lots of scrap castings in the learning curve Ge wanted us to drop our prices 20%. Since we didn,t Ge went to China. So Ge collects all the gov. subsidy to make American jobs. Instead all the American taxpayers subsidys are going to China to create jobs in China. I am for whatever tarrifs our country can pass on foriegn manufacturers.