Best deep cycle batteries brands - Are tubular batteries good?

abdoudiaw
abdoudiaw Registered Users Posts: 12
Hi
Would like to buy deep cycle batteries and need some help to choose brands.
I need 2 batteries of 150-220ah each.
Small installation.
Also a local small company is selling tubular deep cycle batteries. Are tubular batteries good.
Thanks

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Best deep cycle batteries brands - Are tubular batteries good?

ok. we will need more info like the current requirements for the loads, approximate daily loads in ah, and charge current proposed or available.

i don't know what it is you are referring to as tubular batteries.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

By "tubular" I presume you mean the ones with the coiled plates like Optimas? Nothing wrong with those, providing you get the right ones (Optima has three different types with different colour tops to denote SLI, RV/Marine, and Deep Cycle).

My personal brand preferences are Crown and Trojan, the former tends to be slightly less expensive.

At 220 Amp hours (how many Volts?) you could consider the best bargain in golf cart batteries. Sometimes the warehouse stores have these for very low prices and several forum members have had perfectly good service from them. Besides, if something goes wrong and they get ruined you're not out so much money. :D
  • abdoudiaw
    abdoudiaw Registered Users Posts: 12
    niel wrote: »
    ok. we will need more info like the current requirements for the loads, approximate daily loads in ah, and charge current proposed or available.

i don't know what it is you are referring to as tubular batteries.

12volts batteries
    Total loads: around 200watts
    Difficult for me to explain tubular types but you can find pictures in the net.
    Thanks.
  • ywhic
    ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭

Optimas not cheap.. and won't get you to that AH without multiple ones..

9052-161-optima-blue-top-d31m-4518285.jpg

I know the maximum AH Optima D31M one is like 75ah..

I 2nd the idea on 6V GC batteries (sometimes called GC2).. Check Trojan 105's or the likes.. there are 6v each.. just wire 2 of them in series for 12v and theres you 220ah you need.. NAPA sells 8144 and 8146 6v GC batteries for $118 each (+$16 core for each).. and 2 of them will get you similar results.. about 220AH in 12v...

For 2 of the 8144 NAPA's you'll spend the same $$ as 1 Optima.. about $250-280..

And there are NAPA's everywhere and you can order online and pick up local..
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

abdoudiaw,

I assume you are somewhere around Senegal (Western Africa). So, many times you are looking at what is available locally vs what we would have access to in North America, Europe, etc...

When you say you have a ~200 watt load--We also would like to know how many hours a day that would be for (and if there is any surge--such as starting a well pump).

If it is for 2 hours a night (lights, laptop computer, etc.)--that is one thing. If it is 24x7 (such as a radio repeater, computer system, etc.) that is something else.

In general, if you can get good quality deep cycle batteries (or traction batteries for electric equipment) that are flooded cell (removable battery caps and you have to add distilled water once every month or two)--They are usually the most cost effective.

Other battery constructions (coiled plate, sealed, AGM, GEL, etc.) have some very nice features (do not need to add water, some have very high discharge current rates--i.e., supplying Uninterruptible Power Supply for computers, starting large motors for trucks, turbines, etc.)... But, they also tend to be very expensive, somewhat easy to damage (over charging, over voltage), and may not last as long as flooded cell.

Other batteries (truck batteries, "marine batteries", etc.) can also be used--but they usually should not be discharged as deeply (maybe only to 75% state of charge) as "deep cycle" batteries (can go below 50% state of charge)--However, that is sometimes all you can get locally.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    abdoudiaw wrote: »
    Total loads: around 200watts

Thanks.
    So is this 200 watt load being used 24/7, just a few minutes per day, or several hours per day? What we meed is your total expected watt hours that will be used each 24 hour day.
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

If by "tubular" you mean OPzS types with armoured tubular plates, then yes, they are one of the best battery types for solar- but they are expensive. Check the specification from the manufacturer, it should come with a "How many cycles at 80% DoD rating." Do you know the make and model of the battery?

Here's an example of an OPzS with tubular plates, monoblock: http://www.systems-sunlight.com/uploads/image/12V_2_OPZS_100.pdf rated at 1200 cycles with 80% Depth of Discharge.