Leaking battery...

plongson
plongson Solar Expert Posts: 115 ✭✭
Boo-Hoo, like it says, I discovered a small puddle of electrolyte under the battery framework, not much and it is only the second time in 6 months it has appeared. It seem to be in one small spot (on one battery) where the case is welded to the top. It also seems to only try to leak after a vigorous EQ. The level is not low...but I really think I might try to live with it, man I hate dealing with company's to return stuff, especially a 117 lb battery not to mention adding in a new one to an established bank...This blows...
3500w solar, 800AH with Rolls Surrette, Magnum inverter, Midnite charge controller, Kubota 21kW diesel genset...private well...and just recently connected to city power for additional options...nice to have options 

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Leaking battery...

In warranty or out? Or too much hassle?
    Maybe you just want to glue the crack shut with some stuff like this: http://www.elantas.it/fileadmin/media/ELANTAS_PDG_Battery_Sealant_Brochure__8-11_P.pdf
    You might have difficulty finding that locally. Try an auto parts store and tell them you want to seal a crack in a battery case; they may have something similar available.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

If the case is plastic, I have a number of times used a soldering gun to melt and fuse together plastic that had cracked. Just another idea, but it would definitely have to be done when there is no leak and the crack is dry, otherwise the liquid will "fry" and the steam pressure will hold open the crack you're trying to repair.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    If the case is plastic, I have a number of times used a soldering gun to melt and fuse together plastic that had cracked. Just another idea, but it would definitely have to be done when there is no leak and the crack is dry, otherwise the liquid will "fry" and the steam pressure will hold open the crack you're trying to repair.

Me too. :D
    Like you say, it's a bit tricky and you can end up making the hole bigger rather than sealing it up! :cry:
  • SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭

Use a "hot glue gun". It uses plastic glue sticks.

If the the leak is above the electrolyte level just clean and dry it and you have a permenant fix. If it is below the electrolyte level get a plastic mixing trough. Use the hot glue to temporarily seal the cell caps. Lay the battery into the mixing trough so the leak can be cleaned and dried. Apply the hot glue. It dries in seconds. (dont forget to unseal the vent caps when you are done.;)

I did this to a leaking L16 which had been put into a trailer on top of a screw for several months. That was 2 years ago and still no leaks.

Alex
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

If stuff is leaking out, you will have to use electrolyte to top off, not distilled water. What % it should be, I don't know.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Use a "hot glue gun". It uses plastic glue sticks.

What specific type of glue sticks did you use?
    Reason for asking, I gave up on hot glue guns years ago because although it works at first, over a few months it lets go and falls off just about anything I've ever tried it on.
  • SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭
    What specific type of glue sticks did you use?
    Reason for asking, I gave up on hot glue guns years ago because although it works at first, over a few months it lets go and falls off just about anything I've ever tried it on.

Hmm?. I've never had that problem. Of course our record low is about 15º F / -10º C. Have you noticed if it is weather dependant?

I do also use some rough sand paper on the surfaces if they are very smooth and hard. I’ll be pulling those batteries out of the trailer again next month, so I’ll check on it and let you know how it looks.

Alex
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, for plastic water tank repair, they have round "spin disc" friction welding repair kits. Just chuck it in a cordless drill
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear of the batt leak.

Agree with Mike about topping up with the correct amount of 1.265 electrolyte. The exact amount may be a bit difficult to determine.

I had to repair one jar on one of my Surrette 4-volt batts. The weld was broken at the top where the sides of the jar were welded to the jar cover. This shipment of batts (directly from Surrette) had a very rough ride on Roadway Motor Freight. Cleaned the jar with a very clean cloth and distilled water. Let that dry. Roughened the surfaces with 120 grit sandpaper, cleaned again. Then, Epoxied a piece of polypropylene (the same matl as the jar) which had a 90 degree angle from the top onto the jar and down the side about one inch. Let that cure for a couple of days and placed the jar back into the outer case of the four volt batt.

Did not discover the broken weld until the batteries were hand trucked to a different location. After that move, noticed that only that one cell was low in electrolyte by about 1.5 inches. Topped up the cell with 1.265 SG electrolyte, and repaired it later.

This cell has performed well since that repair.

Realize that Paul's batts are single container S-530s, but I'd clean the surfaces, roughen with sandpaper, clean again, and at least do a repair with epoxy. He could salvage a peice of "PP" from an old translucent 18-20 gallon 'tote' (storage box) to bridge from above to below the previous weld, and epoxy in place. Tape could be used to hold this plastic in place while the epoxy cures.

Personally, I'd use the slower curing epoxy, as it is stronger than the 5-minute variety. In my case used JB Weld from the hardware store.

NOTE: newer plastic storage boxes seem to lack the important recyclable symbol, and the designation of the material used to make the box.

You might want to monitor the SG of tha cell/s affected, and perhaps consider topping up with a bit of electrolyte. I would contact Surrette about the matter, and seek advice about any electrolyte addition before doing so. Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • plongson

I put in a call to Surette but it's like calling the White House. Customer service is so crappy anymore, If I find a place willing to work with me, they have a customer for life. I'm really tempted to attempt a repair, the loss of e-lyte is not yet noticeable in the cell in the afflicted battery. I'm pretty much on this bank and not much escapes me...LOL In the mean time I'll call Surette again. the Elantas Battery sealer really looks like the way to go, I'll hit an autoparts to see what I find. Thanks Coot'

By the way, if you remember my concern about SOC and gravity on these battery's ( I had several posts ) on Saturday after 2 hours of float, I had 1.260 to 1.275 on the bank...I am stoked!

I keep you posted on what Surette says. Thanks for all the input!!

Paul
    3500w solar, 800AH with Rolls Surrette, Magnum inverter, Midnite charge controller, Kubota 21kW diesel genset...private well...and just recently connected to city power for additional options...nice to have options 
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Paul,

Great job on the SGs! That is very good.

Boy, I've never had any problems with Surrette Tech Support. Always in the past, a real Human answers the phone, and transferrs to Tech, which was available about 90% of the time. Of course, they are in NS, so they have a very different view of Time of Day than I. Sorry to hear that you are not "stoked" about their Tech. Hope it is just a one-time thing. Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • plongson

Hey Vic,
    I called Surrette twice today, got the receptionist, vmail with the tech dept once and the call went dead on the other...BEEP,BEEP,BEEP...No biggie really, I'll just try tomorrow. I just want to see what they say...

Paul