help with solar system needed please!

Options
big sky
big sky Registered Users Posts: 6
hey all,
i could really use a hand with my project-
i have a 30' camper-
i purchased (4) uni solar 124 w 24 volt panels- (496w total)
kool sealed the roof about 8 times and stuck them in place-
i upgraded the ac /dc power center with a progressive dynamics PD4045 with built in 12 v converter and charge control wizard-
i need a few things that im kind of lost on-
but im making my final purchases and need a hand choosing the correct equipment-
i need
1. charge controller 24v
2. inverter pure sine wave 1000-1500w will do if possible-
3. battery bank- 24v bank- i want to use 12v batteries that run around 100$ 4-6 of them- or is it better to use 4 6v batteries instead? im on a limited budget of 4-500$ for the bank

here's my plan
is it possible?
Attachment not found.

Comments

• big sky
    Options
    Re: help with solar system needed please!

Solar Panel Specs
    PVL-124 Specs.

16 ft. 5⅛ in. length x 15½ in. width x 0.16 in. thick Weight 15.5 lb.

Electrical Specification: PVL-124
    Rated Power
    Pmax 124 Watts
    Nominal Operating Voltage 24 Volts
    Operating Voltage (Volts)Vmp 30.0 Volts
    Operating Current (Amps)
    Imp 4.13 Amps
    Open-Circuit Voltage (Volts)
    Voc 42.0 Volts
    Short-Circuit Current (Amps)
    Isc 5.1 Amps
    Series Fuse Rating (Amps) 8 Amps
    Min. Blocking Diode 8 Amps

Attachment not found.
  • big sky
    Options

the converter/power center specs
    Inteli-Power AC Features:

AC Distribution Panel rated for 120 VAC @ 30 AMPS.

Accepts up to 3 double circuit breakers.
    (Breakers not included)

Accepts 12 DC fuses (not included)

AC Panel features built-in push and lock strain relief wiring connectors for quick installation.

Saves over 50% on installation cost.

Other PD4000 Series Features:

Compact & lightweight
    Reverse battery protection with easy to replace fuses
    Electronic current limiting
    Low line outage protection
    Intelligent cooling fan
    High voltage protection
    Automatic thermal protection
    Front access to large wiring compartment

Housing Features:

Snap lock cover stays shut while traveling. Opens with a touch.
    Attractive design with fine textured finish.
    Special formulation plastic is very durable and engineered for use in higher temperature applications.

Inteli-Power 4000 Series Mighty Mini models can recharge the battery to 90% in 2-3 hours using our patented Charge Wizard® technology.

The built-in Charge Wizard automatically selects one of four operating modes: BOOST, NORMAL, STORAGE, DESULFATION.

BOOST Mode 14.4 Volts - Rapidly brings RV battery up to 90% of full charge.

NORMAL Mode 13.6 Volts - Safely completes the charge.

STORAGE Mode 13.2 Volts - Maintains charge with minimal gassing or water loss.

DESULFATION Mode 14.4 Volts every 21 hours for a period of 15 minutes to prevent battery stratification.

Dimensions 12.25W x 8.875H x 5.62D Cut out Dimensions 10.75W x 7.25H

Attachment not found.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Big Sky, Welcome to the forum... before I try to answer your questions do I understand what you are trying to do? It seems that you are charging a 24 volt battery bank to power an inverter to make 115 volt AC to run a battery charger to charge a 12 volt battery? Is that correct? If so, why are you doing all that? Why not just charge up a 12 volt battery bank from the panels? Am I missing something?

Also, and most importantly, what are your loads? The design of a solar system begins with defining your loads. Nothing makes any sense until you know what it is you are trying to accomplish, i.e. what are you trying to power?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • big sky
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    Hi Big Sky, Welcome to the forum... before I try to answer your questions do I understand what you are trying to do? It seems that you are charging a 24 volt battery bank to power an inverter to make 115 volt AC to run a battery charger to charge a 12 volt battery? Is that correct? If so, why are you doing all that? Why not just charge up a 12 volt battery bank from the panels? Am I missing something?

Also, and most importantly, what are your loads? The design of a solar system begins with defining your loads. Nothing makes any sense until you know what it is you are trying to accomplish, i.e. what are you trying to power?

no, the pd4045...its an AC- distribution panel that distributes power throughout the camper- and it has a built in dc converter to run the 12v system inside the camper, like lights, tow brakes, exterior lighting , tail lights etc-

a 24v system charges much faster and is more efficient than a 12v from what i understand, and my solar panels are 24v-
    i want the inverter to distribute the AC power throughout the camper from a battery bank- basically this replaces shore power-(off the grid)
    the 12v converter is built in to the AC panel- its power comes from the ac distribution panel when shore power is connected via 15amp breaker-
    otherwise it runs off the battery up in the front of the camper-(12v) when shore power is disconnected-

my loads AC are about 5-600watts-

my loads dc are just 4 dual camper lights and a 4amp bilge fan-

thank you for helping me i appreciate it-
  • big sky
    Options

ive replaced everything else with gas, gas range/oven with 4 burner up top, gas wall furnace, gas on demand water heater-

basically everything i have 12v lights and fan , can run for 3-4 days straight off of a fully charged 12v battery not being trickle charged- a little test i did to see-

on AC
    my fridge runs 1.3 amps
    my tv LG 32" 1.3 amps and adjustable energy star so i use 40% power when its on-
    laptop charging -
    i have a little ac that runs 4 amps but wont be used very much at all-
    and i would like 4-5 amps to spare if possible if not my loads will be fridge -
    it has more to do with, in my mind, folks living way over there actual needs then actual load-
    you can alter your power consumption based on what solar system you can afford-
    then learn to live my your needs-

i can afford about 500w of solar- 4 batteries and the inverter etc- so thats what im doing- no ifs ands or buts really- lol
    i'll live around what i need and can .... until i can expand- then on goes the ps3 etc etc lol
    my panels run 90% in sun and 80% in shade there highly efficient and tested-
    i watched first hand a guy toss one on the ground and pull 111 watts off the 24v 124w panel - they are that good-
    i'll be 7500 feet up- full sun, no trees, in a valley-
    well over 300 days of full sun a year-
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    big sky wrote: »
    battery bank- 24v bank- i want to use 12v batteries that run around 100$ 4-6 of them- or is it better to use 4 6v batteries instead? im on a limited budget of 4-500$ for the bank
    The one question you asked that I am sure of is that you are better off with four 6 volt batteries in series. Less connections, less cells to maintain, and most importantly no issues with trying to get the current evenly distributed among multiple parallel paths.

As far as your other questions, i have no personal experience with controllers and inverters in the size range you are looking at. I can say that the Morningstar and Rogue controllers are highly regarded on this forum.

Final comment: I am not too sure you are being realistic in your expectations. Some of those wall furnaces consume quite a bit of electrical energy for their fans. You say that your fridge only consume 1.3 amps at 115 volt AC... but for how many hours a day does it consume that power? Does your gas oven use a glowbar? If so, that is a huge electrical energy hog. You have air conditioning and a 32 inch TV... Get yourself a kill-a-watt meter and find out what your loads really are.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • big sky
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    The one question you asked that I am sure of is that you are better off with four 6 volt batteries in series. Less connections, less cells to maintain, and most importantly no issues with trying to get the current evenly distributed among multiple parallel paths.

As far as your other questions, i have no personal experience with controllers and inverters in the size range you are looking at. I can say that the Morningstar and Rogue controllers are highly regarded on this forum.

Final comment: I am not too sure you are being realistic in your expectations. Some of those wall furnaces consume quite a bit of electrical energy for their fans. You say that your fridge only consume 1.3 amps at 115 volt AC... but for how many hours a day does it consume that power? Does your gas oven use a glowbar? If so, that is a huge electrical energy hog. You have air conditioning and a 32 inch TV... Get yourself a kill-a-watt meter and find out what your loads really are.

--vtMaps

my wall furnace has no electrical connections what so ever and its pilot light, is run off 2 D cell batteries-
    my stove/oven, is an older atwood, there are no electrical connections what so ever, its oldskool hand light, with a lighter or match-
    my fridge prob runs about 12-13 hours out of a 24 hour period at only 1.3 amps- its a dorm sized new energy star Kenmore mini fridge-
    i feel i'm being very realistic as i do my best to become electricity free as much as possible-
    my water heater also runs off 2 D cell batteries and uses no electricity what so ever- no connections and works awesome-
    my lighting is 12v only and i have battery operated led touch lights through out as a energy saver- AAA batteries are 13 bucks for 50pk- ;)
    last years-
    i will be in colorado...yeah..not much ac going on since im moving there from FL lol..
    i hear its cold as ice up there and the summers , spring are always nice and mild- the ac might even get tossed or sold if i dont end up using it-
    i'll have 496 watts of solar kicking in an open valley-
    that should at least run a 1.3 amp tv on 40-60% power mode and a fridge right?
    thanks for any advice-
    has anyone here ever used Missouri Wind and Solar?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    big sky wrote: »
    has anyone here ever used Missouri Wind and Solar?

Everyone consider this an advance warning: we are not going down that MWAS road again. The last thread mentioning them got really nasty and had to be locked.

To the OP: let's just say there aren't many in favour of that particular company around here.