New to Solar off grid system

BETTER2BE
BETTER2BE Registered Users Posts: 5
Having started to build a small solar system for my home incorrectly , Im hoping to modify my attempt and successfully build a system that works.

As I started the process over I changed my goal from trying to save money on my electric bill to supplying a portion of my home with solar power so in the event of an outage I would have power to all areas of immportance. So here's where I am : with the help of my electrian friend
I have wired a sub panel with a transfer breaker to include several outlets in the living room and MB also my well pump and refridge. I wired an input outlet on the exterior of my garage that my 5KW generator can plug into thus bringing power to the sub panel .( the sub panel being fed by the main house feed unless I throw a manual breaker)
I tested everything works good. .

To figure the total load of whats on the sub panel I assume I have to have all of the devices that I want to have power, ON then clamp my meter around one leg of each feed at a time to determine the load?
Is this the correct way to figure out the current ? VOLTS X AMPS = WATTS , when figuring the load am I looking for total AMPS? or total Watts? When everthing is on,( under load) its not more than 10amps
I would like to have power to this sub panel at all times using the power from my solar system. using the generator as a back up only . question 1 : I had purchased a Power Bright PW2300-12 inverter should I send it back and start thinking 24 volt system 2: for this type of set up would 6v deep cycle Trojans in series work ok for my application? which will prob be a 24 v system
last question : In Trying to put together a system Ive purchased these items.. one Mornigstar TS- 60 w meter 12or 24 , one 12v GrapeSolar monocrystaline 250 watt panel and one 2300 watt PowerBright inverter . In starting over and building a 24 volt system instead of a 12 can I still use the solar panel in a series config or is it better to get a 24 v panel? and as far as the inverter should I purchase a pure sinewave 24volt ? After seeing it done the wrong way on youtube several times I am trying my best to do it the correct way
Any help from the more experienced folks out there is much appreciated! Still learning Thanks Dave

Comments

• ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Re: New to Solar off grid system
    BETTER2BE wrote: »
    Having started to build a small solar system for my home incorrectly , Im hoping to modify my attempt and successfully build a system that works.

As I started the process over I changed my goal from trying to save money on my electric bill to supplying a portion of my home with solar power so in the event of an outage I would have power to all areas of immportance. So here's where I am : with the help of my electrian friend
    I have wired a sub panel with a transfer breaker to include several outlets in the living room and MB also my well pump and refridge. I wired an input outlet on the exterior of my garage that my 5KW generator can plug into thus bringing power to the sub panel .( the sub panel being fed by the main house feed unless I throw a manual breaker)
    I tested everything works good. .

To figure the total load of whats on the sub panel I assume I have to have all of the devices that I want to have power, ON then clamp my meter around one leg of each feed at a time to determine the load?
    Is this the correct way to figure out the current ? VOLTS X AMPS = WATTS , when figuring the load am I looking for total AMPS? or total Watts? When everthing is on,( under load) its not more than 10amps
    I would like to have power to this sub panel at all times using the power from my solar system. using the generator as a back up only . question 1 : I had purchased a Power Bright PW2300-12 inverter should I send it back and start thinking 24 volt system 2: for this type of set up would 6v deep cycle Trojans in series work ok for my application? which will prob be a 24 v system
    last question : In Trying to put together a system Ive purchased these items.. one Mornigstar TS- 60 w meter 12or 24 , one 12v GrapeSolar monocrystaline 250 watt panel and one 2300 watt PowerBright inverter . In starting over and building a 24 volt system instead of a 12 can I still use the solar panel in a series config or is it better to get a 24 v panel? and as far as the inverter should I purchase a pure sinewave 24volt ? After seeing it done the wrong way on youtube several times I am trying my best to do it the correct way
    Any help from the more experienced folks out there is much appreciated! Still learning Thanks Dave
    One piece of advice I can give you is to stop buying stuff until you have your system completely designed.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Avoid the "ready, fire, aim" syndrome! A 2500 watt inverter is huge for a 12 vdc system, and probably not a very efficient use, as most inverters have a ton of waste when run with low loads.

Tony
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure of what you mean by "one leg of each feed". You would be better off buying a kill-a-watt meter. One reason is that your clamp meter will only give you the current draw at one moment of time. Some things (such as a fridge) may cycle on and off. The kill-a-watt will figure that all out for you.
    Current is measured in Amps. Power is measured in watts. Energy is measured in wattHours (or kilowattHours). One important thing you need to know about is voltAmps. Volts x amps = voltAmps. the voltAmps is equal to the watts only when the load is purely resistive. Many common household items have a capacitive or inductive load and the voltAmps will be a higher number than the watts. A kill-a-watt meter will measure amps, voltAmps, watts, and watthours.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i