brand new to wind and solar

Options
Dylan
Dylan Registered Users Posts: 2
I'm new to the wind and solar stuff. I was told about this website. I have been wanting to creat my own power for years, I have been looking for people that know what they are doing to give me any pointers ect. I have looked through some of the post on here there seems to be some pretty smart people on here and I like to know more.

What I like to learn or hear is were should I buy from, were can I get the most bank for my buck. also what to advoid. I hate to spend my hard erned money on something that wont work at all.

I have a good knolage of Electonic and I like to build my own stuff. I'm good with my hands ect. I have some small solar pannels I got years a go they are only 10 watt pannels but they charge batteris for my secerity cameras and some small LED lights.

What I like to do is get off the gride, or supliment my power, so tired of paying those hight priced power bills of like 250 ++++. I have watch a lot of videos on wind turbines, and solar pannels and charge controllors. I have built battry chargers, and I have worked with a Parelex microcontroller, and I have taken 2 years of programing in collage, but waiting to reduce bills to go back to finsh my programing degree.

This is a lot about me I hop, I can talk to some one that has had luck, and will help show me the way to great companys and were to buy a great product to get start thanks. Dyaln

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: brand new to wind and solar

First place to start is conservation... Insulation, Energy Star appliances, possibly new heating/AC system using heat pump, etc... Evaluate your present energy usage (kWH per day by season, average watts, peak watts, etc.).

You have several options for solar power--But the only one that will possibly save you money is Grid Tied Solar (solar panels + GT inverter). Costs are "reasonable" and maintenance costs are not too high. Depending on the cost of power from your utility and if they support GT/Net Metering, you can actually save money. But it will not be as much as you will save with conservation.

Going off grid--Will probably never save you money--Off grid power (solar panel + charge controller + battery bank + inverter) will typically cost you about 10x as much as utility power (on the order of $1 to $2+ per kWH).

Off Grid power is for folks that do not have utility power available and/or want some emergency backup power (storms, earthquakes, etc.). There are hybrid power systems that combine GT plus Off Grid capabilities that can reduce the cost of solar power--but it is still 2-5x the cost of utility power for the typical user.

Here is a nice thread with lots of information and DIY projects related to solar power and conservation--Take a look and see what interests you:

Working Thread for Solar Beginner Post/FAQ

$200 a month is a lot of electricity (~1,000+ kWH per month in my area)... My starting suggestion, if you want to go off grid, look at reducing your bill to 100 kWH per month for a reasonably sized/costed off grid power system.

Your thoughts?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    BB. wrote: »

$200 a month is a lot of electricity (~1,000+ kWH per month in my area)...

-Bill

You only pay 5 cents per kWh? Can I come live with you? :D
  • BB.
    Options
    ggunn wrote: »
    You only pay 5 cents per kWh? Can I come live with you? :D

That is $0.20 per kWH????

Actually I pay from $0.09 to $0.50 per kWH (off peak/summer peak+top tier)--Actually I am too cheap to pay $0.50 per kWH, the summer TOU rate for base is around $0.29 per kWH.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    That is $0.20 per kWH.

D'oh! That's what happens when I try to do math in what remains of my head.
  • Dylan
    Dylan Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks for the information, Defetly a lot to take in. I guess with having two kids and a wife that use power like no tomorrow thats kind of hard to reduce the use. I also have my shed it's a lofted barn style I have all my computer stuff, and other ends and outs it my man cave. If anything at all it be nice to take that off the gride. I will have to say I belive my Man cave uses at least a third of our montly power with 13 computers, 42 in tv I got for free it was broken I just fixed it so in a way free. all my shop tools server, networking and security stuff. I have a lot of test equpment for repair circuit boards ect its like my own laboratory. enogh said about my little cave.

I already have one wind turbine up it dose pretty good I just want more from the solar side of life. so when there is no wind I will have power from the sun.
  • BB.
    Options

The best way to start--Get a Kill-a-Watt meter or equivalent and start measuring your loads. Once you know your loads and have worked at reducing them--Then we have the kWH per day of your needs--And it is very simple to do a paper design from there.

And always, I like to suggest a paper design before you start buying hardware. It is very easy to buy stuff that is incompatible with your eventual needs/designs.

-Bill