unavoidable laundry

2»

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: unavoidable laundry

Haha Niel, the video is one I found online, of an identical machine. Exactly the same as the one I no longer use :D
    And yes, too much soap would find it's way through the drum bearing seals, and then - - - :cry:
    Bearing seals back then, weren't the same at the ones used today.
  • Volvo Farmer
    Volvo Farmer Solar Expert Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bearing seals might be better now, but it is not an uncommon thing for the rear seals and bearings to fail on newer front loaders. It is also almost always not cost effective to fix these as the manufacturers don't sell bearings and seals, they sell the whole rear half of a tub with a new bearing in it. Anyone using a front loader should use "HE" (high efficiency) soap as it does not suds up as much as traditional soap.

Also, to the OP. The pumps in front loaders are more delicate, and don't move the volume of water as the ones in the old top loaders. My neighbor is a stone mason and he has gone through several pumps in the last few years, mostly because of the grit in his clothes. I went over there once and his whole drain hose was packed with concrete dust slurry! So get as much grit out as possible before washing. Lastly, the pumps for Whirlpool built products come with a whole new pump housing and are 3x more expensive than pumps for LG. The pump housings never fail and the motors come off the housings with three screws, so I don't know why Whirlpool doesn't sell just the motor, but they don't.
  • waynefromnscanada
    Bearing seals might be better now, but it is not an uncommon thing for the rear seals and bearings to fail on newer front loaders. It is also almost always not cost effective to fix these as the manufacturers don't sell bearings and seals, they sell the whole rear half of a tub with a new bearing in it.

Well that SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! I just hope that when my bearings go, they'll be "standard" size that I can pick up at an aftermarket bearing and seal provider.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Tony TC 40 works great, thanks. Sometime this year, I hope, we will upgrade to a new 24V system , depending on how the cash flow goes, more concrete first....

As to the wringer washer, ours, inherited with the cabin, Does have a pump, but it was for speeding up the draining, or can be used to recycle. Drain hose is a weird size though... will get make/model this weekend and post, Works like a hot damn too...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

My wife tells me all laundry is unadvoidable, especially if you have 2 grand kids that like to roll in the dirt. <politically correct statement :D Personally I think nakedness for some would be an improvement but not so much for others! ;)

Clothes line going up here real soon, that gosh dern dryer sucks the juice.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

"Personally I think nakedness for some would be an improvement but not so much for others! ;)"

now leave the naked iguanas out of this.:p

do try to keep the swearing down so that it can be read by some of those older kids that can read.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

hehe corrected the hydro electric word.
  • NorTracNY
    NorTracNY Registered Users Posts: 13
    Bearing seals might be better now, but it is not an uncommon thing for the rear seals and bearings to fail on newer front loaders. It is also almost always not cost effective to fix these as the manufacturers don't sell bearings and seals, they sell the whole rear half of a tub with a new bearing in it. Anyone using a front loader should use "HE" (high efficiency) soap as it does not suds up as much as traditional soap.

Also, to the OP. The pumps in front loaders are more delicate, and don't move the volume of water as the ones in the old top loaders. My neighbor is a stone mason and he has gone through several pumps in the last few years, mostly because of the grit in his clothes. I went over there once and his whole drain hose was packed with concrete dust slurry! So get as much grit out as possible before washing. Lastly, the pumps for Whirlpool built products come with a whole new pump housing and are 3x more expensive than pumps for LG. The pump housings never fail and the motors come off the housings with three screws, so I don't know why Whirlpool doesn't sell just the motor, but they don't.

I just had my maytag bearings go last month. The repair was going to be more than a new, better washer. The repair guy said that Maytag has a known design problem and to avoid them. Kenmores do not have the same problem. He also said to make sure I always use the HE soap.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

Maytags are probably a whole new animal now. My brother and daughter had topload maytags and bearings went out a couple times with them. ow maytags are owned by Whirlpool and I think the quality has improved. My daughter got an LG frontloader like mine and my brother got another Maytag which is a frontloader and made in Germany. LG is made in Korea. Yes if you get a new frontloader make sure you use HE soap. I used what regular soap I had left in my pressure washer. Think Kenmore is made by whirlpool. :Dsolarvic:D
  • Volvo Farmer
    Volvo Farmer Solar Expert Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vic is correct.

Also, don't condemn a brand name because you had a problem with it. Maytag front loaders have been made by Maytag, Samsung, and Whirlpool in the last ten years. Kenmore front loaders have been made by Electrolux (Frigidaire), Whirlpool, LG, and Samsung in the same time period. I have seen bearing failures in all the major brands (except LG), but I know from my appliance repair buddies, that even the LG product can have a bearing failure.
  • NorTracNY
    NorTracNY Registered Users Posts: 13

Not condeming them, I'm just passing on the info I received from the repair guy. He said they have not yet fixed the design problem and suggested avoiding them. He did make it clear that a bearing failure is a new washer. If I remember correctly, $400 part and $200 labor.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our Samsung front loader is about a year old, and does about 3 or 4 loads a week. So far, so good.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i went to sears recently and with general talking back and forth the salesperson alerted me that the whirlpool front loading washers have a reputation of burning out the electronics and that sears is no longer allowing whirlpool to make them for sears under the kenmore name.
  • waynefromnscanada

Good to know Niel, thanks! Mine, I believe, is made by Frigidaire, with the Kenmore name stenciled on. SO FAR, still working great after almost 3 years. on the Xantrex Pure Sine 1800/12.
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    solar_dave wrote: »
    My wife tells me all laundry is unadvoidable, especially if you have 2 grand kids that like to roll in the dirt. <politically correct statement :D Personally I think nakedness for some would be an improvement but not so much for others! ;)

Clothes line going up here real soon, that gosh dern dryer sucks the juice.

Something I saw the other day that should be avoidable and illegal, is the selling of used lingerie at the community thrift store. I don't care how many times they are laundered, it's a bad idea.
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

I have a front loader GE. I tested it back in 2006 so I am recalling the numbers by memory.
    The washer used 12 gallons of water to do a half load of laundry (discharge hose in trash can).
    I remember being pretty happy with its power consumption, remember it being about 1 cent worth of virginia power, so 0.1kwh.
    Peak power was drawen during spin cycle, it was 350 or 550 watts.
    So all around very easy on the utilities.

I bought mine new for about $1000, this was before I knew about used applience dealers.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• waynefromnscanada
    bmet wrote: »
    Something I saw the other day that should be avoidable and illegal, is the selling of used lingerie at the community thrift store. I don't care how many times they are laundered, it's a bad idea.

But bmet, those items can be SO exciting to wear! Hahahahahahahahaha
    But alas, methinks we digress - - - still, just had to have a bit of fun with that one :D