timing for project

Options
BoFuller
BoFuller Solar Expert Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
After about a year of planning, I'm ready to get started on my initial off-grid project (see possible starter system). It is a small system to provide power to the RV while we are building our home over the next couple years.

How long can batteries set around while not connected. I am doing this project on weekends and I'm 200 miles from home and a 100 miles from any kind of store while I'm there, so I can't just go get some wiring or whatever. It may take 2 or 3 months to complete the project as I have other things I have to do while I am there. I plan on setting a pole for the panels on one weekend. That part is easy. Well, not easy, but easy to plan.

Installing the panels (4 - 240W) seems like it would be next, but if I can't get it done in a weekend or forgot a critical part or tool, it could be a couple weeks before I get back. Can the panels be installed on the post and not be connected to anything? Can I order batteries (4 to 6 of the T-105) now, or wait until I have everything else ready to go. If I got them now, and didn't connect them for a month or so, is that bad for them? Or should I run my wiring and hook up my controller and inverter before installing the panels? Then have all that ready to hook up when I install the panels?

I know some of you would do it all in a day, but like I said, I may be missing a critical part, or forgot some of the tools, or broke something, or maybe I'm just slow and like to triple check everything, especially when I'm not experienced.

So should I order everything except the batteries now, and get them when the rest is about done?

Any suggestions?
Thanks, Bo
12 Kyocera 235 panels, 3 Gyll LiFePO4 batteries (previously 16 Trojan L16 RE-B batteries), Outback 3600W 48V system, Generac 11K propane backup generator, NW AZ, off grid, 6,000 ft (system installed in April 2015)

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: timing for project

It is always better to keep batteries on a float charge. A couple of months is probably stretching it a bit, so unless you are getting a bargain or you need the battery power right away,, I would wait,

Tony
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: timing for project

The last thing you want to get is the batteries. They start going bad one nanosecond after they're made. :p
    Depending on the type of battery, a month of sitting idle is either insignificant (AGM's) or some fair amount of self-discharge loss (FLA's). All you really need is an alternate charge source to keep them up.

If you think the rest of the install may run a bit long (sensible thinking in my opinion) wait to get the batteries until last, and make sure they have a "fresh" manufacturing date.

The system I put in in 2008 was wanting one small part (MC cable) that kept it from being operational for two months. I charged the batteries off the generator daily while waiting for the cable. For some reason the shipper had changed the address and sent it to the local fire department. Never did find out why.