Please talk to me about kits

sofasurfer
sofasurfer Registered Users Posts: 9
I do not have the time or ambition to tackle a "build it myself" system. I am more of a "kit guy". I have already been told that kits are not generally the most desirable option amongst those that can offer the most help. However, if it ain't a kit I will never get er done. So I am asking you all to please give me your opinions of companies that sell kits and that you have done business with.

In my searching and researching, the only one I have found is wholesalesolar.com. For a company that sells kits, they seem to have a boat load of information and reading other sites shows me that their information is comparable to other sites. I'd like to know if there is a list of maybe the top 20 popular companies or something like that. The kit that appears to me to be closest to my needs is http://www.wholesalesolar.com/solarpowersystems/medium-ac-off-grid-with-gridtie-solar-power-system.html. It is close to 1/2 of my energy need as it is now. So as a supplement it is also grid tied. The cost is about how much I currently have to get started. So all-in-all I think that even if I do not go with this kit it is a good one to study as a learning tool.

I would like to discuss this item and get your opinions...is this a reputable company, what kind of costs are involve aside from the purchased kit, is a system like this expandable, etc.

I hope you all will bear with me as I learn.
Be the way, I am in S.E. Michigan.

Thanks

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Re: Please talk to me about kits

Looks like they are using good parts...

Our host, NAWS, can also probably quote you on a complete kit to meet your needs (guessing--none of us moderators are connected with NAWS other than as volunteers here).

Shipping can be a big issue (costs, truck vs other means)--Whomever you choose, make sure that it includes getting everything to your door. In some cases (such as batteries), a local supplier maybe a better choice than shipping 1/2 way across the country.

We can help you with the basic questions--but few of us here are directly in the solar business (retail/wholesale sales, installation, service).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • sofasurfer
    sofasurfer Registered Users Posts: 9

That was a very nice answer. Thanks.
    That is a good example kit for me to focus on while learning. If I get adequate info I can then look to have a system cobbled together by a local or closer company. I have been searching for a local dealer but so far have only located a local contractor with solar experience.
    This company does have kits that supply closer to my energy needs for around $12000.00 or so but they are grid tied with no storage...I think. What is involved in making a grid tied system to also have storage. If I am actually learning anything that would mean the batteries and a controller, what another 3-4 thousand?

If I am grid tied I naturally want all the luxuries of modern life but if the grid goes down I don't see a problem with cutting my needs in half or more. As everyone probably agrees, keeping warm is most important and having lite comes right after that. Everything else is as they say, luxury.

One more question(for now)...Can any grid tied system have storage added to it?

Thank you.
  • Eric L
    Eric L Solar Expert Posts: 262 ✭✭
    What is involved in making a grid tied system to also have storage. If I am actually learning anything that would mean the batteries and a controller, what another 3-4 thousand?

Yes, batteries and controller, and a hybrid inverter system: you need an inverter system that can deliver both 120V to your house as well as the much higher AC voltages needed for grid-tie. No one can give you a price estimate without more specifics (e.g., you can easily spend $4K on batteries alone, depending on system size).

It's much more cost effective to get a grid-tie system and couple it with a generator for power outages. That way you get the highest efficiency/most cost effective PV solar system plus the most cost-effective method of getting back-up power.

You probably saw this, but be sure to factor-in batteries and mounting systems to the cost of those packages you linked to. There are also a lot of incidental costs associated with these installations, and it would not surprise me if the final installed cost was double what they sell the basic package for.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    sofasurfer wrote: »
    One more question(for now)...Can any grid tied system have storage added to it?

Thank you.

The answer is "no". Most GT systems run panels to inverter to grid, and are not designed to have battery storage added later. Hybrid GT systems need their batteries to begin with, or else they do not function. Adding storage to a GT system after the fact comes down to installing another inverter that will run from batteries and adapting the existing system to recharge. The easiest way of doing this is with a Sunny Island inverter (especially if you have their GT inverters to begin with) or Xantrex's XW series hybrid. Magnum appears to have equipment now that can do this as well. Otherwise you are down to using the Xantrex 600 Volt charge controller and/or a lot of re-wiring and experimentation.

The difference between a solar "kit" and a DIY install is who chooses the equipment used: them or you. Since ultimately it will have to be adapted to your particular needs and site you'll end up with DIY anyway. Solar is highly site-specific, and there is no "one size fits all" solution. Grabbing something off the shelf so-to-speak that has a label like "5 kW system" is bound to be disappointing, frustrating, and more expensive than doing it "the hard way" to begin with.

Just my opinion, but how often am I wrong? ;)