Hot Water

Options
97TJ
97TJ Solar Expert Posts: 68 ✭✭
I know this my be off the subject of solar panels and batteries and such but it is an "off grid" question. So, what are some of you doing for hot water. Regular LP gas hot water heater? Instant Hot water heater? Something else?

Comments

• peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Hot Water

Solar Hot water with a DC circulator driven by a PV and wood backup through my heating system. If I was off grid I would spring for evacuated tubes set up for winter sun angles but since I heat with wood via a wood boiler, I stick with flat plates and run off them for about 6 months per year and during the winter use them for preheat.
  • samuel
    samuel Solar Expert Posts: 80 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

My family's cabin has a traditional LP gas hot water heater power vented to the outside. The heater is electric ignition and plugged into a switched outlet in the basement. The switch is in the kitchen. We switch on when we need hot water (usually once every day just before showers). Remaining "warm" water is used for dishes and hand washing until the next round of showers.
  • offgrid me
    offgrid me Solar Expert Posts: 119 ✭✭
    Options

Tankless lp water heater here. Uses about .25 kwh and a little over 1 gallon lp a week for the two of us.
    Ned
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Built my own domestic hot water panel about 10 years ago. Mounted outside, below the storage tank which is inside. During spring, summer and fall, the panel provides all my hot water. Winter time the panel is drained and water is heated from wood stove instead. In both cases, no pumps or electricity required, water circulates by convection. Extremely happy with it.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

While I am a grid tie guy, out hot water is mostly provided by a 4 X 10 flat panel, an 80 gallon tank which is controlled to 150F and preheats a 50 gallon nat gas high efficiency tank, set to 110F Mar-Nov. Our gas bill reflects about 2 therms a month usage for those months.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Direct solar water heating can be very efficient and a practical DIY project. Much depends on your location, of course.
    You can have a lot of fun looking at such projects at Build It Solar: http://www.builditsolar.com/

Up here in the frozen North I go with propane fired on-demand. My unit has a turbine-driven igniter, so no electric is needed.