Wind Turbine Project

Options
mymanhood
mymanhood Registered Users Posts: 2
Hi ALL,

Newbee here and in need of some help!!!

I am in the middle of a major house refurb that (I know dont Laugh) has been on going for almost 4 years. I have made the house as efficient as possible, underfloor heating, the best insulation, low energy lighting, Solar evacuated tube water heating with wood burning boiler stoves and gas boiler, and a 4kw C21e solar time installation which is doing very well. I plan to install a further 72tile C21e system (4kwh) some smaller tracking arrays and 2 wind turbines.
(I am working with SMA and Victron at the moment for the design of my control system for all the renewable and battery back UPS as all my energys are grid tie.) I plan to use and inverter charger to utilise as store as mush of the renewable energy as possible during the day and to balance my grid used with battery use at night, minimising my grid reliance. I plan to install a 48v 2000ah UPS system.

Now what i am looking for, is i would like to install 2 ac turbines which will convert to DC using an SMA Windy boy protection box 500v, then parallel the 2 dc feeds into an SMA Windy boy WB3000 inverter. 2no turbines at 1400watts each = 2800watts max

Will this work, and is there any issues of tying the 2 dc outputs together in one inverter?

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Wind Turbine Project

I don't know the SMA systems--But it does sound like a good start.

One question for you--Why are you doing this sort of setup? Is it to save money, go "green", or for emergency power (fairly common short/long power outages)?

In general, anytime I have "run the numbers", using an Off Grid power system to power a "utility connected" home, in itself, rarely saves money. In general, you have to budget battery replacement every ~6-10 years or so (forklift/traction batteries can last as long as 20 years--But are even more expensive, use more distilled water, and are somewhat less efficient than normal deep cycle batteries). And you should budget inverter/charge controller replacement every ~10+ years.

I don't believe you are from the US--But here, the cost of Off Grid power is almost 10x the cost of grid/utility power.

It is great that you have done extreme conservation--That is almost always a better first investment of your time/money than generating your own power.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mymanhood
    mymanhood Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    Re: Wind Turbine Project

Hi Bill,

I am from UK and energy prices are increasing rapidly, 18% last year with 12% expected this year. I also want to do my bit for the environment as well as have the facility to keep my aquariums running in the event of power failure. Plus UK government pay a lot of money for FIT & RHI (Feed in tariff and Renewable heat incentives) which they guarantee for 25 years. My systems wll be paid for with this payments alone, in less than 7 years and the value of my house has increased by 12% as it is carbon neutral. So all this has its bonuses. FIT's and RHI's are paid on what is produced not on what is exported so i though better to utilise as mush as i can and be less reliant on the multi billion profit making energy companies!!!

To give you an example, for my 1kw future energy turbine, i will receive arround £800 from the government for its production in 2011. The full set up with nice tilting tower cos less than £3000.

So can i tie the dc feeds together?

Thanks

Chris