Semi-mobile garage

bschevelle
bschevelle Registered Users Posts: 5
Hello,

Just purchased an 8.5’ X 20’ enclosed trailer to haul my race car to the track, I am going to add 2 solar panels (180-210 watts, each) and batteries to supply power for lighting, stereo, Laptop, 12volt winch, misc electrical tools.

I will not have much control over pitch or direction of the panels so they will be close to flat with just enough pitch to keep rain running off. I will pitch them to take advantage of where it parked at home, when in use I will keep the pitch in-mind when parking.

The trailer will be parked at the race track usually for two days sometimes 3 days, I will have NO AC power available, I will be limited to 4-6 batteries based on weight and space so I will have a small generator that I will run only when I have to (yes it can charge the batteries while running), too noisy and I don’t want to disrupt the people parked next to me. I will also use the battery bank as a misc source of power while packed at home and in the woods for quad trips.

I am no solar or battery expert so I would like to learn from the expertise of the forum members.

Considering limited space and trying to keep the weight down I would to keep it to 4-6 batteries with maximum amp hours.

What is going to be my best bang for amp hours, 4-6 6v batteries in series/parallel or 4-6 12v batteries in parallel?

Please recommend type of batteries for my application?

I would like to charge the batteries from the truck alternator while the engine is running, from the solar panels most of the time, from AC power when available and from the generator only when needed.
I know that I will need a charge controller and DC to AC convertor, please recommend type and possible brand that would be most effective for my application?

What else would I need to make this happen???

Am I on the right track???

Thanks,
bschevelle

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Semi-mobile garage

Welcome to the forum,

We can look at designing the system two ways... First is to define your loads, peak watts and average watts*hours per day of operation.

The other is to take a limit (like batteries or solar panels) and design the optimum system around it.

For the most, a small system will not usually be expected to supply a lot of power (maybe 200-500 watts for upwards of 10 hours of battery, or maybe 800-1,00 Watt*Hours per day based on ~400 watts of panels).

Batteries are heavy and need to be replaced every 3-8 years or so in that type of application. So keeping the number/size of batteries on the "small side" is usually a good idea (cost/weight). However, if you have periods of bad weather, a larger bank you can recharge (genset or truck) is sometimes worth it.

Also, do you have a season/area that you will be using your system (winter in Seattle or summer in New Mexico).

There are "choices" that can be made to give you options (like using more expensive AGM batteries to run a good sized electric impact gun with high surge current).

A good place to start is a) conservation and b) measure your loads with a Kill-a-Watt meter (for AC loads) or similar.

It is pretty easy for us to throw a system or two at you based on what you have given us so far, but I would like to know a bit more about your loads so that we can start down a path to a system that will better meet your needs/expectations.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • bschevelle

Hello Bill,

I appreciate your reply.

I can only get a very basic watt hours use until I start to use it and then it will still be unpredictable, unsure of power tool use. I can tell you that I will many times exceed the capabilities of the solar panels and battery bank, due to space and weight constraints I can only use 4-6 batteries, the generator will supplement my power needs and charge the battery bank.
    My system needs to build around my constraints and I will find ways to get the most out of it.

Very good point about the battery replacement, that is a good reason to try and keep it at 4 batteries.

I would be spending most of my time in Northern Utah and some time in Southern Nevada and Northern Idaho, the seasons would be spring summer and fall, basic racing season for the region I am in.

I am limited on the size of system I can have, what I am unsure of is the required components between the panels and batteries and the components between the batteries and my converted AC power.

Thanks,
    bschevelle
  • BB.

OK, had to come back later--Last time my cookies got messed up and would not let me post.

For now, lets design a 4x 6 volt @ 220 AH "golf cart" battery system. Cheap, pretty reliable, and if you mess something up or want to change out for another battery bank, you will not feel too bad.

Using various rules of thumbs to get you a quick basic design...

First, how much "usable" power would a 4x golf cart battery bank give you... Note, two 12 volt strings or one 24 volt string will give you the same amount of power (power=voltage*amperage). But, for higher power (roughly, over 1,200 watts, you should step up to 24 volt bank to keep the wire sizes workable--I.e., not much larger than 100 amps of current suggested).

So, for a flooded cell battery bank, a couple "magic numbers". First, the maximum continuous current should be ~C/8 (run battery dry in 8 hours with X current). The other is the maximum surge current (power) that a battery bank can output before its output voltage will collapse is ~C/2.5 -- So:
    • 4x 6 volt * 220 AH * 0.85 inverter eff * 1/8 rate of discharge = 561 watts max continuous AC power recommended
    • 4x 6 volt * 220 AH * 0.85 inverter eff * 1/2.5 rate of discharge = 1,795 watts max surge AC power recommended
    So, for this battery bank, the maximum inverter that should be supported is in the ~500-900 watt range (assuming the inverter can surge 2x rated power).

Note, a "220 AH" battery rating is (typically) done at 20 hour discharge rate. If you discharge a battery faster, it is less efficient and will have less "apparent" capacity at C/8 (for example) discharge rate.

For solar panels on a typical battery bank, we would look at ~5% to 13% rate of charge for good battery chemistry and relatively quick recharge of a battery bank. Note that in solar, +/- 10% is usually "good enough"--I am carrying 3-4 digits so you can reproduce my math (and avoiding roundoff error in longer calculations):
    • 4 Batteries * 6 volt * 220 AH * 1/0.77 panel+charger derating * 0.05 rate of charge = 343 watts minimum array
    • 4 Batteries * 6 volt * 220 AH * 1/0.77 panel+charger derating * 0.10 rate of charge = 685 watts nominal array
    • 4 Batteries * 6 volt * 220 AH * 1/0.77 panel+charger derating * 0.13 rate of charge = 891 watts maximum "cost effective" array
    And what would a XXX solar array produce. Using PV Watts, for Salt Lake city with a "flat to roof array", we get:
    1      2.00     
    2      2.96     
    3      4.05     
    4      5.29     
    5      6.84     
    6      7.32     
    7      7.47     
    8      6.72     
    9      5.24
    10      3.78     
    11      2.35     
    12      1.64     
    Year      4.65      

Assume you get a minimum (March through September--although, if you tilted the array you could get "more sun") of 4.05 hours of "noontime" sun per day. In terms of usable AC power, a minimum of:

• 4.05 hours of sun * 0.52 system derating * 343 Watt Array = 722 Watt*Hours per day
    • 4.05 hours of sun * 0.52 system derating * 685 Watt Array = 1,443 Watt*Hours per day
    • 4.05 hours of sun * 0.52 system derating * 891 Watt Array = 1,876 Watt*Hours per day
    So, does 1,443 Watt*Hours per day for March (average) of 120 VAC power make sense to you?

Personally, I would suggest you stay with a 12 volt battery bank (at least for now--compatible with your 12 volt tools). Also, I would suggest your first inverter should be a MorningStar 300 watt (600 watt for 10 minutes) 12 volt TSW (true sine wave) inverter. If you need more power for drills, etc... I would suggest you get a cheap MSW type inverter (again, much more than 1,200 watts is overkill for this size system).

And, since this is going to be a highly variable power type situation, I would suggest you get a Battery Monitor. It will display in XX% how much power you have left in your battery bank. Normally, I would suggest not discharging below 50% before recharging (or reducing power use), but since this is a portable setup and you only use it (mostly) for weekends, you could drain down towards 20% state of charge when needed, such as a cloudy day (less battery life, but they will probably "age out" rather than "wear out" from heavier discharge--if you quickly recharge the bank).

If you wish to read about the "optimum" charging setup for such a battery bank, this thread is really nice:

Question about battery charger selection with EU2000 generator

Charging from the truck--Sort of difficult to do a 12 volt DC run from the alternator to the trailer battery bank. OK for "low current" charging (maybe 10 amps maximum with reasonable sized wire). But, to charge faster, you would need a inverter on the truck side and a 120 VAC to 12 VDC battery charger on the trailer side. Sending "battery voltage" between an alternator and trailer usually just ends up with too much voltage drop for fast charging (and deep cycle batteries really want higher charge voltage than Starter/Ignition batteries--14.5-14.8 volts vs 13.8-14.2 typical for car/truck batteries). Some 12 volt car electronics (and 12 volt adapters for computers and such) will stop working when the deep cycle batteries are charged at 14.5 to 15.5 volts (equalization)--so you don't want your vehicle alternator to crank up the voltage that high either.

Questions?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • bschevelle

OK, first off sorry for the late reply, project at work that required my full long term attention.

Second, WOW, Bill thanks for the awesome detailed information!!!

Here is what I am considering:

2) Evergreen Solar Panel 210 Watts Model ES-A-210-FA3

4) 6 volt 220amp Golf Cart batteries

Morningstar 300 Watt 12 VDC Pure Sine Wave Inverter.
    I am concerned about the low wattage. Finding something with a little more wattage seems to be difficult unless I want to give an arm and leg or go with modified sine. Any other recommendation???

I believe I would need a charge controller I am considering the Xantrex Solar Charge Controller C35 35 Amps.
    Any opinions on this unit or other recommendations???

bschevelle
  • BB.

You have a life too? :roll:

Yes, the basics you have defined should work fine. Note--Ensure that you can get those Evergreen panels as they are no longer made and there are few high wattage panels (>100 watts) that have Vmp in the 17.5-18.5 volt range.

If you end up getting different panels with higher Vmp (>20 volts or so), you may have to go with a more expensive MPPT type charge controller.

Also, for basic 120 VAC power--such as charging battery packs, radios, hand tools, etc... A TSW inverter is just much easier on may of the smaller appliances. MSW are just (more or less) square waves and can cause some wall mount transformers, small electronics, induction motors to overheat. Also, some audio/visual equipment will have a 120 Hz buzz and interference on video with MSW supplies.

All About Inverters
    Choosing an inverter for water pumping

For reliable power, I would still suggest a smaller TSW inverter to supply your "critical" loads and get a larger MSW to supply power to your corded tools--as needed. The reason I really suggest the MorningStar 12 volt TSW 300 watt inverter (PDF spec sheet) is because it can be configured for automatic on/off. If there is less than ~6 watts of AC power required, it will "go to search mode/sleep" and only draw ~55milliamps (0.055 amps) when not powering any loads. Most AC inverters will draw ~6-20 watts when powered on and no loads--As you can guess, more than a few people have killed their battery banks when they forget to turn off their inverters when the loads have been removed.

-Bill
  • bschevelle

A local installer has the Evergreen panels left over from a project, I do need to make the purchase while he still has them, which brings me to yet another question; the wife is a bit leery of the $$$ I am putting into this project (yes I have a life and a wife, LOL), will just one of these Evergreen panels be sufficient for my 4 battery setup?

I just needed a thump in the head; I now see what you are saying about the inverters, just a matter of getting a larger MS invert and wiring it into the battery bank along with the Morningstar TSW inverter.

Thanks again Bill you have been a great help!

bschevelle
  • BB.

One panel--Would be better for storage than really using the single panel to generate significant power for daily/weekend use. Back to the rough guide:
    • 4 Batteries * 6 volt * 220 AH * 1/0.77 panel+charger derating * 0.05 rate of charge = 343 watts minimum array
    • 4 Batteries * 6 volt * 220 AH * 1/0.77 panel+charger derating * 0.10 rate of charge = 685 watts nominal array
    • 4 Batteries * 6 volt * 220 AH * 1/0.77 panel+charger derating * 0.13 rate of charge = 891 watts maximum "cost effective" array
    And then there is the amount of power that would be generated from your array (assuming you don't use a genset/shore power):
    • 4.05 hours of sun * 0.52 system derating * 343 Watt Array = 722 Watt*Hours per day
    • 4.05 hours of sun * 0.52 system derating * 685 Watt Array = 1,443 Watt*Hours per day
    • 4.05 hours of sun * 0.52 system derating * 891 Watt Array = 1,876 Watt*Hours per day
    It really depends on what your expect from your battery bank / solar panels...

If the system is really intended to be solar powered for much of the time--then you are really looking at a minimum of two panels.

If the system will use the solar panel mostly for when the trailer is parked in storage--Even a smaller panel will work too (down to 100 watts to float that battery bank).

-Bill
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Be careful with the battery Amp hour to panel power ratios. People too often build systems with lots of battery and very little panel - and end up with dead batteries.

Example:
    Two 210 Watt panels is 420 Watts. About 324 Watts after typical losses. Divide by nominal battery bank Voltage (the lowest you want to go) to get potential maximum charge current: 324 Watts / 12 Volts = 27 Amps. That would be the recommended amount (at a 10% peak charge rate) for 270 Amp hours of 12 Volt batteries. Since you have alternate charging available (look into inverter/generators; they are quiet and efficient) you could drop down to the minimum 5% rate: 540 Amp hours of battery.

In terms of "AC Watt hours out the door" those two panels could be reasonably expected to provide 840 Watt hours on a good day. That's about 70 Amp hours on 12 Volts. Since you don't want to go below 50% DOD that would mean a minimum 140 Amp hour battery, and 280 would be good for 25%. As you can see, using the 10% peak charge current calculation with a 25% DOD you get about the same size battery: 270 to 280 Amp hours. You probably won't find any battery combination that hits that mark exactly, but you could come close.

How all that fits with the infinite variability of your actual power use in a shop situation is something no one can predict.
  • bschevelle

Purchased the panels, a bit pricey but they were local and will work perfect for my project.

The following linked diagram is layout for what I am doing with the exception that I will have 2 panels wire in parallel.
    http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/wind-sun/RVKit4-diagram.pdf

2) Evergreen Solar Panel 210 Watts Model ES-A-210-FA3
    Open Circuit Voltage (V) 22.80 Voc
    Short Circuit Current (A) 12.11 Isc
    Maximum Power Voltage (V) 18.30 Vmp
    Maximum Power Current (A) 11.48 Imp

4) 6 volt 220amp Golf Cart batteries

Xantrex C40 40 Amp Solar Charge Controller http://www.solar-electric.com/c40.html

Morningstar 300 Watt Sine Wave Inverter http://www.solar-electric.com/mosu300wasiw.html

Baby Box Enclosure for 1-4 DC or AC Din Rail Breakers http://www.solar-electric.com/baby-box.html
    More question…..
    Considering the solar panel amps will I need a 30amp Breaker between my solar panels and the Charge Controller???

What size Breaker would be recommended between the Charge Controller and the battery bank???

Do I need a breaker between my battery bank and my invertor??? And could I also put this breaker inside the Baby Box Enclosure???

Thanks,
    bschevelle