Old Heart interface inverter, 26yrs old

Options
Dapdan
Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭
Hey guys,

I was not sure where to put this so here it is. I went by an old guy today to check his system out. When I was leaving I notice this strange looking device with large wires coming out of it. Anything with large wire I notice. It was a very old looking inverter. It was very heavy for it size as well in comparison to similar sized inverters. It was an old heart interface inverter 24v 2500w modified. He said I could have it as I was fawning all over it. I brought it home to see if it could be brought to life. I opened it to make sure nothing was out of the ordinary before I applied voltage to it. The thing was made in 1986, maybe it should be in museum. What do you guys think is it worth while trying to revive it. I have included some pics.
Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
Cheers...
Damani

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Old Heart interface inverter, 26yrs old

nice nostalgia.

should we call this open heart for these old inverters?:p
  • Dapdan
    Options

Niel you are too funny.

Damani
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi DD,

As you prob know that is from the hearts and minds of Robin and boB. (Too cute niel!)

I still have a Freedon 2000 -- a 12 VDC inverter. You might take this qustion to the MN Forum where you are also active. My Freedom still does work. Thanks for the trip back down memory (lost) lane. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Dapdan
    Options

Vic,

Thanks for the suggestion. That was the first thing I did and then copied it here so others could admire it or chime in. It looks very well built. I would love to see it working.

Cheers....
    Damani
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry Damani,

Missed it over there. Thanks, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Options

My wife and I lived on one of those Heart's for several years back in the late 80's. Some of the best years I've had. Had to rebuild it twice when blown by lightning. Pretty simple design so not bad to figure out. Replaced all the FETs if I remember right. When they changed the name to Trace (then Xantrex) they got complex and sanded all the numbers off the IC's. May have my old one stashed around here somewhere if you need parts.
  • Dapdan
    Options

Solarix,

That would be greatly appreciated. I have hooked it up and it does not turn on. I will spend some more time cleaning it up because it is really dusty. I will check the capacitors first and see if they are still working. It does have one hell of a trasformer though.

Cheers...
    Damani
  • PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
    Options

I've still got one of these, albeit a 12V 2000 watt model. It doesn't have the 'racing stripes' like yours! We'd used it for many years (closer to "decades") and it never even hiccupped. I only replaced it with a Magnum TSW when we moved from propane refrigeration to electric, not wanting the MSW to shorten the life of our new refrigerator.

The thing weighs 82# so I haven't tried to sell it, since it can't be easily shipped. Ours may be a little newer since the blocking plates on the front are for a newer rectangular receptacle vs the older duplex style, but that could even be the way they punched the aluminum for the different models.

It has been one of those things in the garage I've been trying to figure out a use for, very much like the Gateway laptop from the early nineties with Win95. I'm too "frugal" to throw either away, but don't know what else to do with 'em.

Phil