Response to those who call me a liar and then lock my thread...

Options
Justin Chew
Justin Chew Registered Users Posts: 18
Ok, well my thread has been locked so once again I was not allowed to respond to questions. It’s funny how people with supposedly “no bias” lock a thread before I can respond, while other people complain of the thread when they don’t have to read it. Anyways, let’s see if I’m allowed to respond or if I get banned again. I’m starting to think this forum is pushing their own agenda too, otherwise why would a thread be locked that people are commenting on? Below are two comments that I will respond to if anyone is interested in openness and if I’m actually allowed…

“Justin,
Just remember, we had the same thing happen a few years ago with SWEA GT inverters... A local (US) distributor was told time and again that the UL Certs were "just around the corner", and that is what he told us. After a few months of this, he just stopped posting. Regarding NEC--I will have to get back to you on that. But, simply, if you have a 15 amp breaker (from utility) and 12 amps (80% of 15 amps) from a GT inverter on a generic branch circuit with multiple non-dedicated outlets, you now have 15+12=27 amps available to other sockets on the same branch circuit. That is not legal. From my point of view--that is one reason that Plug&Play will never be legal with standard household wiring/plugs.
Could you pre-wire a house with a dedicated branch circuit to the roof (possibly with a non-standard consumer outlet)--Probably. But, you will still need permits to install the balance of system at a later date.
-Bill”

“OK, without being insulting, I would suggest you try another forum, I rarely have more than a 20watt draw on the grid, even with electric heat and fridge, the % time I have <20 watt draw is greater than the time I do. I suspect in this forum that would be a standard situation. My power company wants, a seperate meter and lots of hoops to connect.
As for worrying about you intelectual property, this is NOT new, the early Trace micro inverter was similar are you stepping on their copyright? This article will explain why the Early Trace microsine nolonger meets UL code and This is the Guerrilla install from Homepower circa 1999.
FWIW - The Trace Microsine even with a male plug was not 'hot', it had to sense the correct sine wave and voltage to sync and produce. Not sure if it would even be considered 'Unsafe' in and of it's self by UL standards, after 1999 islanding changes. But unsafe in other ways as others have suggested here. Provide a link to the relevant UL listings, and we will be convinced. If you don't have such information, then say so, instead of implying that you do,, and that you are "unwilling" to post them, if they exist at all.
Tony”

Response: Regarding UL certs, and to be specific and not continue to cause confusion and hysteria, here is what I will give you, everything except the Certificate # which I’ve already discussed my reasons. Our kit has a micro inverter that is TUV certified to UL1741:1999R11.05, issued in June 2011. Our solar panel is certified UL1703 in July 2011 by UL themselves, and has a certificate # and a reference #. The certificate is signed by William R. Carney, Director of North American Certification Programs. Keep thinking I am making all this up, because I have nothing better to do with my time than bs on a forum, right? We are not stepping on anyone’s copyright, the Trace inverter was only 100-watt output, not for outdoor use I believe, and not UL listed. Tony, supposedly you rarely draw more than 20 watts on the grid with a fridge and electric heater that must be using over 1,000 watts, so please tell me what type of system you have, because we would like to sell it, it sounds unbelievable! Our system maxes out at about 1100 watts, chances are you’re going to be pulling power from the grid quite often with a system like that, no? If you’re power company wants you to jump through hoops then you probably have a higher output system or a non-UL system.

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Response to those who call me a liar and then lock my thread...
    Inverters, Converters, Controllers and Interconnection System Equipment for Use With Distributed Energy Resources
    UL 1741

1 Scope

1.1 These requirements cover inverters, converters, charge controllers, and interconnection system equipment (ISE) intended for use in stand-alone (not grid-connected) or utility-interactive (grid-connected) power systems. Utility-interactive inverters, converters, and ISE are intended to be operated in parallel with an electric power system (EPS) to supply power to common loads.

1.2 For utility-interactive equipment, these requirements are intended to supplement and be used in conjunction with the Standard for Interconnecting Distributed Resources With Electric Power Systems, IEEE 1547, and the Standard for Conformance Test Procedures for Equipment Interconnecting Distributed Resources with Electric Power Systems, IEEE 1547.1.

1.3 These requirements cover AC modules that combine flat-plate photovoltaic modules and inverters to provide AC output power for stand-alone use or utility-interaction, and power systems that combine other alternative energy sources with inverters, converters, charge controllers, and interconnection system equipment (ISE), in system specific combinations.

1.4 These requirements also cover power systems that combine independent power sources with inverters, converters, charge controllers, and interconnection system equipment (ISE) in system specific combinations.

1.5 The products covered by these requirements are intended to be installed in accordance with the National Electrical Code, NFPA 70.

I guess it boils down to show me the device certification and show where in the NEC it allows a plug in interconnection.
  • Joe_B
    Joe_B Solar Expert Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

0 Friends
    Justin Chew has not made any friends yet

The new software works!
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Rather than go down this road once again,, I'm going to lock this thread
This discussion has been closed.