upgrading system

bluz4evr
bluz4evr Registered Users Posts: 7
Andy here,am living in a converted short school bus.my present system puts out 240w.am thinking of changing this to :2/korcera210GX-LFBS panels and using a morningstar45 MPPT controller.can I still use my present 1000w 12v inverter and 4/115ah marine bats.or must I do something with these also.am wondering because of what I understand this controller will convert the 24v new panels into 12v that I need for the radio,lites,inverter,etc that I have installed already or did I misunderstand something.I chose these panels because they will mount in the same foot print as old ones there fore can use the same mounts-hopefully. thank you in advance for all info.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: upgrading system

welcome to the forum. you are correct that you could use that mppt controller to downconvert for your present 12v battery and inverter setup. you would also have the option of making the pvs in series or parallel as the output from the controller will go down to 12v. you also did not say what controller you are using with the 240w in pvs that i will assume to be 2 kc120 pvs or something similar. your present system can also be left in place in addition to the newer pvs being added and mounted with the new mppt cc (if you have the room for all of those pvs). this would be 2 separate solar setups feeding a common battery bank and is an option for you to do if you would like a total of 620w.
  • bluz4evr

the reason for upgrade is now am using 16/sunforce15w panels and three 7a controllers..but by redoing it I can clean up most of the roof.plus I know some one that wants these panels.I have no problem with sunforce -they have a very good service dept.I had a panel break once called them in Quebec at 2:30central time explained I was leaving in two days as sold house in east Tx.to live in my bus and wouldn't have an address after that.the next day at 4:30 a UPS truck pulled into yard with a new panel.that's great service.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

just so we are on the same page here, i am not criticizing your pvs or reasons for doing what you are doing as i am fine with whatever your reasons have as i just found out what you have and why you are doing it. btw, if there's a chance you may upgrade to more pvs in the future then make sure the controller will accommodate it now so you won't have to upgrade your controller again, otherwise i think you're good to go with your plans.
  • bluz4evr

no problem-just was explaining why I wanted to change set up.some times more power is good-plus am thinking recovery time or charging time will be quicker with new system once installed.