Connectors

Shadowcatcher
Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
Just how important are weather/water resistant connectors?
I use lots of Anderson PowerPole connectors which are not weather resistant but are because of the way they are made separate. I have yet to have a problem with the connectors between for instance the panel that is, in season, on the trailer and off season on top of the garage feeding a grid tie inverter. So the connector has been subject to rain and snow.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Connectors

Pretty important... 12 volts is just on the edge of the voltage punching through the dirt on the surface of the connector (under 12 volt connectors should have gold contact surfaces). Add that most connectors are not UV resistant--then the plastic becomes weak and shatters. For 12 volt circuits, random water is probably not the huge issue. In the end, I would suggest getting self vulcanizing (rubber) tape, wrap, then use black tape/friction tape for the outside surface (make it easy to slice for when you need to break the connections). -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

I have PowerPole connectors on my three Harbor Freight panels. When they are on the roof I plug all three into a 4-way block and the fourth connector feeds down to a charge controller in the garage.

When I first set this up, I had the connections wrapped in a plastic bag but the bag got left off at some point. Mine have seen rain, snow, ice, heat, cold...

The plastic housings look a little rough (they've been outside a couple of years now) but electrically the power flows the same as it always has.

Not to say it wouldn't be *better* to use a more weatherproof connector, but for a low-power "temporary" setup the PowerPoles are working fine for me. (Cheaper too - I already have dozens of the things for ham radio uses.)
  • Shadowcatcher
    Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

Thanks RJ having some one with first hand experience helps. None of the connectors are in direct sun and it is very easy to replace the plastic bits. One of my goals with the teardrop trailer is to make it adaptable to where we camp i.e. I have a 12V pump that I can use to pump water out of a lake or stream through two filters and into the water tank.