Smart Circuit 20

We've been looking around for reasonably priced products that would let us monitor power consumption and turn on and off loads remotely (most are prohibitively expensive), and one option we found was the Smart Circuit 20, developed by a company called "Watts Up", and retails for $159.

Has anyone here on the forum had any experience with this product?

The device is fairly compact (it fits into a standard two-gang outlet) and has a pretty low price considering what it does. It measures watts, volts, amps, watt hours, max and min watts, max and min volts, max and min amps, power factor, power cycle, frequency and volt-amps, and can report these values over Ethernet at intervals as frequent as every second.

It also has an internal 20 amp relay allowing the power load to be remotely turned on and off.

Given that the company has published the protocol used by the meter to send measured data out over TCP/IP, it looks like it would be pretty straightforward to get the data logged to a Linux box.
House: 2x SMA SI 6048 w 24x 2V DEKA Unigy II; 2x SMA SB 3000TL-US w 24x Sharp ND-H235Q2
Cabin: 1x Magnum MS4024 w 24x 2V DEKA Unigy II; 1x Morningstar TS-MPPT-60 w 6x Sharp ND-H235Q2; 1x 200 Watt Harris microhydro
Intertie: 1x SMA WB 3800; 1x Lambda GEN-600 DC Supply; 2x PSL pQube

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Smart Circuit 20

It does look interesting but it lacks the one feature that I believe would be useful for offgrid. It needs to be able react to a programmed DC voltage level for load control.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• David and Laura
    David and Laura Solar Expert Posts: 139

Re: #1 — That would make it a lot more directly useful as a load diversion controller...

We should be able to effectively get the same thing by using the battery level output from our Magnum battery monitor (which we will be monitoring on our computer), and based on that value, switch on and off a dehumidifier.

We ordered one to test it out, and we'll post back here again when we've had a chance to try it out and see how good it is.
    House: 2x SMA SI 6048 w 24x 2V DEKA Unigy II; 2x SMA SB 3000TL-US w 24x Sharp ND-H235Q2
    Cabin: 1x Magnum MS4024 w 24x 2V DEKA Unigy II; 1x Morningstar TS-MPPT-60 w 6x Sharp ND-H235Q2; 1x 200 Watt Harris microhydro
  • David and Laura

Well, our first attempt to order one of these was a failure, as the company we ordered it from abruptly refunded our payment without any explanation why.

So, we're going to try to order it from another supplier — hopefully we'll have more luck the second time.

We also came across an interesting research project using the SC20 to provide low-cost pre-pay based solar power for African villages:

http://sharedsolar.org/

Here's a photo of their metering and power control box, which incorporates multiple SC20s, each controlling a home run to a separate home.

http://sharedsolar.org/?attachment_id=458
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Well, our first attempt to order one of these was a failure, as the company we ordered it from abruptly refunded our payment without any explanation why.

Proceed with caution. A possible reason the supplier issued the refund with no explanation may be that they have hordes of angry customers suing them for selling them this product.
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭

Quick look at their user forum showed more spam that actual users.
  • David and Laura

In doing more research, we stumbled across the PowerHouse Dynamics eMonitor:

http://www.powerhousedynamics.com/

Here's a review from a customer who installed one:

http://www.energycircle.com/blog/2010/01/20/powerhouse-dynamics-emonitor-unboxing-installation-and-first-impressions

Advantages of the SC20 are that it allows monitoring of every branch circuit off the breaker panel.

Disadvantages are that it doesn't allow load shedding, and appears to only measure current.

We haven't been able to find any specs on what is monitored, since we'd like to collect the data ourselves, rather than rely on a remote web service. We sent an e-mail, so we'll see if we can get any more detailed technical information... Perhaps something like this combined with something like the SC20 would be able to give us a more accurate picture.
  • Dave Angelini

If you folks are offgrid and do not have a huge system then a shunt type monitor and the use of the aux control on your inverter or charge controller is the "old fashioned" way of doing what you want. The aux control will drive a relay or solenoid to turn on or off loads on a 120/240 circuit.

I do hope that you find something! As I said before, it will need to be able to react to DC voltage as well as power in it's algorithm.

• XRinger
    XRinger Solar Expert Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

I've started doing some experimenting with a low cost 'universal' controller that
    seems like it would be good for monitoring Solar PV current flow (with add-on Hall sensors)
    and also be able to directly control AC SSRs and even X10 modules.

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/appliances-gadgets/1871-webcontrol-universal-industrial-controller.html

Most of the parts are in, so I should have my basic monitoring system installed
    before too much longer.. (I hope)!

Cheers,
    Rich
  • Dave Angelini

Rich,
    Good luck ! I mean it! I was trying to get xantrex interested in a smart-grid type device that could controll loads intelligently. The recession and all was the basic response. Times are still pretty tight for R&D that does not pay off quickly.

Make it simple to install with a heat pump or deep well pump as the main load
    and I could sell 5 of them for you at almost any price! If it can deal with clouds, the time of day, priorities, and battery goals it would help with the idle energy that some systems produce.

• XRinger
    XRinger Solar Expert Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Speaking of dealing with clouds, I just took a look at the charger's remote panel
    and took a walk to shut off my inverter. Too many clouds around to keep
    using power while the battery bank is trying to charge..

I like this little CAI board, because it's easy to hook up and program.
    Not the most powerful thing available, but for the price, it's amazing.

It's a general purpose controller, that could be used for just about anything
    you wanted to automate or monitor.

My project goals are to monitor my Sanyo Mini-splits power & performance.
    I want to detect any poor performance, and perhaps prevent wasting power and even compressor damage etc.

I'm not interested in logging and keeping records, but in real-time control
    with the ability to trigger alarms and/or corrective actions, in the event of malfunctions.

I've been thinking of ordering a second CAI controller just for load control
    of my small back-up system.

Because of it's low cost, I think it's the idea tool for small scale apps like
    controlling fans in the house and attic. Using it's simple programming
    capability, you could monitor indoor, outdoor & attic temperatures
    and use the data (and time of day) to make decisions re: using power to move air.

~~
    Since I've got a Radon detector that beeps when Radon levels are in the danger zone (greater than 3 pCi/L),
    I think it would be simple to hack the detector for use with a Radon exhaust fan.
    Otherwise, Radon fans normally run (40w plus?) 24-7.. (Not good for off-grid).
    Whereas the controller might only need a few watts 24-7..

I've got a birthday coming up soon.. I'll have to buy myself that spare CAI.. :)

Cheers,
    Rich
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

I could see a use for this in grid tie demand control to take advantage of the most advantageous TOU rates and prevent high demand charges.
  • David and Laura

Well, it looks like we've reached the end of the road with respect to the Smart Circuit 20:

We got a reply directly from Watt's Up:
    Dear David and Laura,
    Thank you for you interest in the Smart Circuit. Unfortunately at this time the SC is not available. It us unknown at this time if we will stock this product again.

Thanks,

Carrie Moore
    cmoore@wattsupmeters.com
    EED - electricity controllers & meters
    3090 S Jamaica Ct #306
    Aurora, CO 80014
  • David and Laura

We finally found another supplier that had one left in stock, and ordered it. This time, we actually received the product.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=2900&d=1326857084attachment.php?attachmentid=2901&d=1326857084
    Front and Back of the SC-20

attachment.php?attachmentid=2898&d=1326857081
    Inside the SC-20, looking at the relay board (front)

attachment.php?attachmentid=2899&d=1326857082
    Inside the SC-20, looking at the control/interface board (front)

Interestingly, the SC-20 has no UL mark (or that of any other certifying agency). A quick search of UL database seems to also indicate that it isn't listed.