home depot stranded wire ok for DC?

YostFMX
YostFMX Solar Expert Posts: 94 ✭✭✭
i bought some home depot 0 awg stranded wire for linking batteries together, the only thing is there is only 19 strands. each strand is pretty big, is that bad for DC? i used home depot 10 awg stranded wire (19 strands) for my little 45 watt panel on my rv. that works ok, not sure if there is a power loss? but it works... ill post a pic of the 0 awg tonight. the guy at home depot said people use it for AC...

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: home depot stranded wire ok for DC?

A couple threads to check out:

Suitable array to controller cable?
    Ampacity vs. cross sectional area

Questions?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • YostFMX
    YostFMX Solar Expert Posts: 94 ✭✭✭

From what I read you don't have to use stranded wire for DC. I was told you always had too! So this is fine than I guess...
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

The stranding of the wire has nothing to do with AC or DC, it is all a matter of flexibility and connections.
  • kevin
    kevin Registered Users Posts: 9

it doesn't about use the stranded wire in AC or DC, the thing what you need consider is current.perhaps in most of the time,you can design 4A per Square millimeter.
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

Wire that size will be good in both the size and construction departments.
    How much power do you plan to push through it?

Also see:
    http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
    When there is any quesion about wire size I go there.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

stranded wire can be used instead of solid wire where one wants more flexibility and resistance to breakage and does not have a dc or ac only statis. both solid and stranded wire can be used in both ac and dc applications