FAQ: How to Search this Forum and How To Post

BB.
BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
Search FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions): We do have a search function (upper right bar, "search" pull down)--However, I find it has some limitations--Suggest trying Google if you are not getting the results you need. Short Words (like "BZ" -- a solar charge controller that is often searched for here)--Don't show up. And if the terms you are looking are very common--Such as "BZ charge battery"--Will will get lots of results, but may not include the term "BZ" which may be the most important result. So, I suggest using Google--especially for new folks that may not know the terms. Google can use natural language searches, and will return very good results with even very short search words--Such as "BZ". So, for Google, you need to limit it search to this website... You do this by adding "site:wind-sun.com" to your search string (will work for any Google indexed website). So, try Google:
  • BZ site:forum.solar-electric.com
You can also use very simple but powerful search modifiers... "+" tells Google that the term must be in the results. "-" tells Google the term must not be in the results:
  • charge controller +water +turbine site:forum.solar-electric.com
Also, Google is pretty good about looking for similar words/variations of words/etc... Once you get a result, you can modify the results with the +/- functions.

-Bill B.

PS: update to forum.solar-electric.com from the old "wind-sun.com" URL. 6-18-2015
Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset

Comments

• BB.
    Re: FAQ: How to Search this Forum and How To Post

In honor of newbie "CMcD":

You have to choose a sub-forum first to see the "+ Post New Thread" buttons at the left top/bottom of page when making a New Thread.

For existing threads, you just need to hit the Reply Button. You can also reply with comments or use the "Go Advanced" to get all of the special editing features (adding pictures, using super and sub scripts, etc.).

Also there is a WYSIWYG mode (What you see is what you get). Look for the A/A button in the upper left of the editing window. Press once and you get the WYSIWYG mode, press again and you see all of the text "tags" uses to bold, color, make links/tables/quotes, etc.

If you want to add a signature, at the bottom of your first "new post", you have to click the box for "Show your signature".

Also, another function is the automatic smilie... Works well except where you have a list and use:

1)
    2)
    8)
    9)

The "8 )" turns into a 8) unless you use the space between the 8 and ) or you check "Disable smilies in text" below the edit window. There are other "auto smilies" too--but that is the most common "oops".

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.

Here is how it looks if I disable smilies:

7)
    8)
    9)

Of course, smilies don't work any more in that post. ":p"

All hidden behind the "Go Advanced" button (switch to advanced editing mode).

You can set the defaults for many of these modes in your USER CP section (arg--now called General Settings).

http://forum.solar-electric.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

-Bill

PS: If anyone else wants to add forum helpful hints in this thread, please feel free.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

good advice bill. they could avoid the smiley issue and do what i do with numbering and use the > key.
    7>
    8>
    9>
    an asterisk is also a possibility.
    7*
    8*
    9*

even this # before the number could work. it is not called a pound symbol even though some refer to it as such and i used to remember what it really is called, but i have forgotten just now. senior moment?:cry:

use whatever alternative that looks best to you.
  • BB.

By the way, I see that my posts are being "backed up" every minute or so as I type them. I really like this as my computer keeps throwing loosing my posts with control/hot keys I did not press...

However, I cannot find anyway to access the backup copy(ies) of the posts.

Any ideas out there how get the old/lost post backups?

-Bill
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Another bug seems to be how to block RS feeds that show up in the 'New Posts" section when you press the button in the top left message bar . Went into my CP and "Edit blocks" and all I can do is bock members???

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada