Use car battery for lighting

Options
theuns
theuns Registered Users Posts: 7
HI
I would like to hookup up a 9watt, 230volt light to my 12V car battery, with a 12V 150watt DC to AC inverter.
The battery is not huge the car is a 1.6l opel, i have no idea about the amps hours.
Now i know that there is a huge difference between a car and deep cycle battery.

1. Will this work?
2. For how long will i be able use the light?
3. What will happen to the battery, in the long term?

Any answer will be appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Use car battery for lighting

Please seems reply here:

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Lifespan%20of%20Batteries

Tony
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The inverter you are looking at, is likely a cheaply made "hunk-of-junk". They sell them by the thousands here in the USA. While they generally work, the self-consumption of the inverter will be more than the 9 watts the bulb consumes. I'd guess 20W just to power up the inverter, and then 9 watts consumed by the light. So you would be pulling about 30watts off the battery (2.5A)

A small car might have an 60 ah battery, and for occasional use (once a month) you can maybe consume about a fifth of that (20%) before you would have trouble starting the car and needing a jump. So I think 12A is 20% of 60, and that comes out to about 4.8 hours of light. Or maybe I made a mistake before my AM coffee, and someone else will set your right.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• LucMan
    LucMan Solar Expert Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Options

I use a Wallmart 12v trolling motor battery ( deep cycle), a 250w Cobra 12v inverter, and 35w solar panel to light my barn with a 150 watt halogen and a small cfl. The lights are only used for 15-20 min per day 2-3 times per week, no problems for the last 3 yrs. When not in use I turn the switch off on the inverter.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

As an example for the math (you can fill in your own numbers:

Assume:
    • 85% efficient inverter
    • 6 watts of losses (minimum power to turn on inverter)
    • use 15% of battery of available battery capacity (recommended car battery "deep cycle")
    • 60 Amp*Hour battery capacity (smaller car battery)
    • 12 volt system
    And the math would be:
    • 60 AH battery * 12 volt * 0.15 of capacity / (6 watt inverter tare + (9 watt load * 1/0.85 inverter eff)) = 6.5 hours
    So, while your battery can supply much more energy, the recommended maximum cycling for a 9 watt 230 VAC lamp would be around 6.5 hours.

Of course, if you have more accurate information, you can plug in your own numbers.

Also, for small loads, notice how much the inverter "costs" you for power:
    • 6 watts tare + 9watts*1/0.85 inverter eff = 16.6 watts
    If you could find a "12 volt" LED type lamp, you would be much better off... A 1 to 5 watt LED lamp outputs a surprising amount of light.

If you need general lighting, a 12 VDC florescent lamp might be better (LED's tend to be a bit more focused light).

It might be more difficult for you to find a good assortment of LED/CFL lighting--but if you can search boating and camping vehicle stores, you might find something there (probably not cheap).

Note that good LED lamps need a lot of heat sinking. The "cheap" bunch of LEDs soldered to a circuit board may only last 50-100 hours before they "turn black" from overheating.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset