solar panels

bundy
bundy Registered Users Posts: 10
hi all i was just wondering what panels would get better power in winter time or summer time or is there a difference or preferenc. and is there an advantage of having 60 or 72 cell panels.
me and my buddy was having a discusion on that figure dont hurt to ask thanks a bunch

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: solar panels

i hope you don't think me as being a smart aleck and i hope you get what i'm saying as the pvs will only give more power in winter if they already give more power in the summer and they all output more in the summer. it's called a higher power pv. they all react badly to the diminished amount of sunlight in the winter and they all gain just a tad of power due to the cold temperatures, but nowhere near enough to compensate for less sunlight.

there could be an advantage to using a 72 cell pv if one is looking to use a standard pwm controller to a 24v battery bank. usually there are 36 cells to a nominal 12v pv. this is enough for the pwm controllers to account for losses and hot temperatures and still supply good power to the 12v battery. too much voltage from more cells and power is wasted and too little voltage from fewer cells finds times the pv won't charge the battery. 72 cells is just double that of the 36 cells and thus equates to using the pwm controller to a 24v battery. also of note that if one uses an mppt controller that 72 cells is more cells than a 60 cell pv and if the cells are identical that the 72 cell pv will yield that much more power over the 60 cell version. not all cells are created equally though as they also have a current rating and, if high enough in current, it could skew a 60 cell pv to output just as much or more power than a 72 cell pv. the 60 cell pv should utilize an mppt type controller to optimize the voltages for charging a 12v battery and would be too low in voltage for charging a 24v battery bank no matter which controller type is used.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: solar panels

The short answer: a panel's output is measured in Watts. A Watt is a Watt. The make or type of panel has no bearing on this. The Watt ratings are relative rather than definitive (i.e. output ratings under controlled conditions). There is a small advantage to amorphous panels under scattered light conditions (overcast days), but they have disadvantages over crystaline panels (about 1/2 as efficient, requiring twice the area for the same Watts).

On the whole, no one brand of panel offers any significant difference over any other.

Someone is bound to disagree with this, but that's their problem not mine. ;)