Propane conversion for Honda EU6500i?

RegGuheert
RegGuheert Solar Expert Posts: 102 ✭✭✭✭
I would really like to use the Honda EU6500i as the backup generator for my sister's off-grid system. I have one of these generators myself and find it to be very quiet and efficient. Unfortunately, I have been unable to locate a propane conversion kit for this generator. Has anyone done a propane conversion on this generator? If so, where did you get the kit?

If there is not one available, can anyone recommend a propane-powered generator with similar noise and efficiency specifications that they can purchase instead? TIA!

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Propane conversion for Honda EU6500i?

Try here:

http://www.propane-generators.com/_vti_bin/shtml.exe/index.html

Tony
  • Joe_B
    Joe_B Solar Expert Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

http://www.generatorsales.com/order/Honda-EU6500iSA-Tri-Fuel-Kit.asp?page=Honda_EU6500iSA_Tri_Fuel_Kit

This place makes a turnkey solution.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The place in Maine has done three for me with zero problems. I don't have access to the file now and am out the door. Manyana?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

From an RV forum, they also suggested:

http://www.propanecarbs.com/

In that same RV thread--One guy cut out the eu2000i fuel take and put the regulator in its place--looks really nice.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the opinion on the Yamahs generators? I see that Icarus posted site sells the Yamaha models with the kits already installed. warranty also. :Dsolarvic:D
  • RegGuheert

Thanks, everyone! I had almost given up hope on finding a kit for this generator! It looks like there may be multiple options available! Dave, if you have a chance to find the vendor in Maine, I would greatly appreciate it. I want to compare different options, if possible. Thanks again!
  • squarebob
    squarebob Registered Users Posts: 25 ✭✭✭

I would bet he is talking about Central Maine Diesel

www.centralmainediesel.com/

Bob
  • icarus

Honda vs Yamaha,, IMHO tomato vs tomahto.

Tony
  • RegGuheert
    icarus wrote: »
    I'm guessing that means that you don't really like either brand.

I'm open to other suggestions. Can you please recommend another propane generator in this size range along with the reasons you prefer this brand? TIA!

P.S. Or are you saying they are pretty much the same thing? Does Yamaha offer an inverter-based generator?
  • SteveK
    SteveK Solar Expert Posts: 387 ✭✭

I just looked at the various options out there but at a smaller size. What I found was a very slight tip of the hat to the Yamaha's in fuel consumption dept. but the Honda's sealed the deal in retail cost.

Prices are all over the board on the Honda's, shopping around will find some screaming deals on them. Not much variance on the Yamaha's.

Service network is larger on the Honda's too, so I found out. There is more local support for them around here if that means a much to you as it does to me. YMMV on this....

Good Luck!
  • Dave Angelini

http://www.generatorsales.com/order/Honda-EU6500iSA-Tri-fuel.asp?page=EU6500iSA_Tri_Fuel

These folks sell the unit installed and I am told with Honda warranty. That is the only way I would buy one for my customers. Way to many quirks with altitude and stuff that I do not want to do, ever! Better yet, figure a way not to need a generator:cool:

• icarus
    RegGuheert wrote: »
    I'm guessing that means that you don't really like either brand.

I'm open to other suggestions. Can you please recommend another propane generator in this size range along with the reasons you prefer this brand? TIA!

P.S. Or are you saying they are pretty much the same thing? Does Yamaha offer an inverter-based generator?

To the contrary, I have typically used Hondas for years, but my neighbour has used Yamahas with equally good results. If memory serves Yamaha makes a complete line of inverter generators pretty well mated to the Hondas

Tony

For what it is worth, it has been my experience that the "service network" is mostly a non issue, for in my area they all stink! We had a problem with a control board on a Mitsubishi genny (great unit). It kept blowing control boards, and the service dealer (same as my Honda dealer) could only replace the board, (which I can do in 5 minutes) rather than diagnose what was causing the continual failure. After the 3rd board, I finally spend some considerable time with the North American service rep and we finally figured out that it was getting toasted because of a ground loop when connected in the PV circuit. Mitsubishi graciously gave me the 3rd board no charge after I suggested that their dealer should have asked more relevant questions after the second failure.

Tony
  • off the grid
    off the grid Registered Users Posts: 5

Anyone know why these kits are not available (sold) in CA? :confused:
  • Dave Angelini

California Air Resources Board or CARB ?

I believe that if you have an EU6500 i that someone will sell you their kit. You just have to say the right things. Did you try the folks on the link I provided?

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    SteveK wrote: »
    What I found was a very slight tip of the hat to the Yamaha's in fuel consumption dept. but the Honda's sealed the deal in retail cost.
    icarus wrote:
    Two years ago I researched the Honda eu6500i vs the Yamaha equivalent. As I recall, the Honda was heavier, and the reason for the weight was that the Honda had a pullcord to start the unit if the electric start failed. The Yamaha did not have that capability.

I also researched propane conversions. I was told (but did NOT confirm with Honda) that such a conversion would void the Honda warranty. If you buy a converted Honda with a warranty, check to see who will honor that warranty. It may be that your dealer warranties the unit, not Honda.

In my area there is a shop that does conversions. There are a couple of ways to do the conversion. You can leave in the original carburetor and be able to run either gas or propane, or you can remove the carburetor and run only propane. The former will reduce the engine power (when running on propane), the latter will cause the engine to run hotter.
    --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i