Thermal electric generators

snuffy
snuffy Solar Expert Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭
Anybody played with these things yet? http://www.tegpower.com/

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Thermal electric generators

There are a number of threads if you do a search.

I tried to build a TED powered fan remote from the stove years ago. I was able to power a computer fan,, only by putting the hot side on the stove, and ice on the cold side! Not a terribly practical alternative.

I currently have a variety of wood stove fans that are powered by TEDs.

Tony
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

Tony,
    Don't throw out your Ecofans when the thermoelectric modules quit (mine always do eventually). I had one dead and one failing (had to start with a finger push even when the stove was really hot). Instead of trashing them I cut the motor leads, tried them with a AA battery, they both worked, then wired a multi voltage wall wart to run them at 1.5vdc. Works fine.

Even for your parsimonious use of power on the island it's a tiny load. My Killa watt meter wouldn't even register in the watt mode, only in the amp mode (3va). I couldn't bring myself to throw out two $90 gizmos without trying to save them.

Ralph
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Some one on e gave me a out 50 teds, so I keep my three fans running by replacing the teds. I am about due for a few more new ones though,

T.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i thought about doing that years ago, but you need quite the temp differential to make any real power and given their costs i gave up on even trying it.