Need to know how much to charge or pay...

:roll: In making solar panels by hand (manually; no machines), how much would you charge per piece or by the hour? (1) Tabbing/Stringing Solar Cells (2) Framing (assemble frame from kit and gluing in glass panel (3) Wiring (connecting all the wires and components then soldering) (4) Laminating. For performing these tasks by hand, what is a fair price to charge or to pay someone. No machines are involved to automate any task. andysiis@swbell.net

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Need to know how much to charge or pay...

Welcome to the forum, Andy.

I have to say that with commercial solar panels priced at less than $2 per Watt http://www.solar-electric.com/hiposopa.html there really isn't much point to homemade panels.

Making your own small ones for learning/experimental purposes is one thing. Try to produce them as a business venture quite another. I would be remiss to not point out there can be a substantial liability factor in selling any product you make yourself these days.

As for a "fair price" for doing such a thing it is the same with any labour process: how long does it take you, and what is your time worth? For those who don't realize it, that's a more important question than it at first appears to be.
  • TnAndy
    TnAndy Solar Expert Posts: 249 ✭✭

OK, I'm curious.....how long does it take you make a panel. Provide labor time and specs on the panel, if you don't mind......and then maybe cost on materials separate.
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭

What's your Warranty? After all, to charge for this service would be to set yourself up as a professional, and possible backlash if customer has ANY reason to question your work.
    :roll: In making solar panels by hand (manually; no machines), how much would you charge per piece or by the hour? (1) Tabbing/Stringing Solar Cells (2) Framing (assemble frame from kit and gluing in glass panel (3) Wiring (connecting all the wires and components then soldering) (4) Laminating. For performing these tasks by hand, what is a fair price to charge or to pay someone. No machines are involved to automate any task. andysiis@swbell.net