Parity with utility rates

Options
bmet
bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
Working a conference of TEC Co-op managers, and a Mr. John Cooper , President of Ecomergence, states that solar pricing at 75 cents/Watt is current parity with TEC rates.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Parity with utility rates

That may be for panels, but there is a ton of other gear (BoS) too. And if you want power at night, more stuff (batteries, flywheels.....)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    bmet wrote: »
    Working a conference of TEC Co-op managers, and a Mr. John Cooper , President of Ecomergence, states that solar pricing at 75 cents/Watt is current parity with TEC rates.

:confused:
    What exactly is meant by $0.75 per Watt? Panel price? Installed grid-tie system size price? Cost per kW hour over the expected lifespan of a grid-tie system?

I re-priced my existing off-grid system (self-installed) and found that if it were duplicated today (as near as can be; it would be slightly more powerful in fact) it would produce at a rate of $0.75 per kW hour over the expected life of the system. That still doesn't come close to BC Hydro's $0.10 per kW hour, even if you add the extra fees and proposed 17% rate increase. Just how bad are TEC's rates?

Lots of different ways to look at/interpret the same numbers. :roll:
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

A typical power plant cost around $1.00 per Watt to construct.

-Bill :confused:
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Options

I wish I had the recording of the guy's speech, because that's the only way you could have your question answered. The man was talking about many data points in a study, covered by over a dozen teams, so his remarks were summarized to fit into an hour's time.

I am certain the .75 cents/Watt had to have been for a grid-tied system. TEC co-op mangers mentioned a range of rates, the lowest I heard was .08 Cents per KW/Hr, and the highest was .13 Cent/KW Hr. Also included in that was a monthly service charge of 22.50.

Of the 60+ co-ops represented at this conference for the TEC, only 1 spoke about Renewable Energy installs. That co-op had one plan based on 4KW grid-tied system, but didn't get into detailed costs. The co-op's infrastructure was based upon a hand full of installs, less than 20, so the customers that chose RE were credited for excess that they produced every month BUT were charged an undisclosed premium for that service. Regular co-op customers were not charged this premium...yet.

Apparently the Texas state legislature chose to follow California's 30% plan, to be adopted by the year 2018. The TEC opposes it outright, but until the law is overturned they must begin preparing. So rates will go up in the not too distant future.
    :confused:
    What exactly is meant by $0.75 per Watt? Panel price? Installed grid-tie system size price? Cost per kW hour over the expected lifespan of a grid-tie system?

I re-priced my existing off-grid system (self-installed) and found that if it were duplicated today (as near as can be; it would be slightly more powerful in fact) it would produce at a rate of $0.75 per kW hour over the expected life of the system. That still doesn't come close to BC Hydro's $0.10 per kW hour, even if you add the extra fees and proposed 17% rate increase. Just how bad are TEC's rates?

Lots of different ways to look at/interpret the same numbers. :roll: