Inverter connection in Philippines

larrybc1
larrybc1 Solar Expert Posts: 44
Hi all..I need some help here on how to hook up my inverter to the philippine 2 wire system..Here is what I have:

will be operating mainly lights and fans, tv,stereo equipment and 2 freezers..My wiring is 2 wires--one hot 220 and one ground..I bought the Magnum 4448 120/240 vac inverter..It has 3 wires coming out--2- 120 volt lines and a nuetral..

How can I hook this up to my Philippine 2 wire system ??Pls help thks Larry

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Re: Xantrex XW 4548 inverter

50 or 60 Hz?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    Re: Inverter connection in Philippines

60 hurts . is how it is voltage in provinces and cities is 220v but in many major buildings in the larger cities 110v is also available .Quite often in side by side outlets. only a felt tip marking to say which is which. Dangerous really. but hey thats the Phils.

RED + BLACK IS 220 V
    WHITE + RED is 110v (1)
    WHITE + BLACK is 110v (2)
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

john,
    i don't mean to pick, but that's funny.

"60 hurts" :p

for those that may not get it, it is spelled hertz.:roll:
  • john p

Hertz is boring ..Everyone just about uses it.:D
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    john p wrote: »
    Hertz is boring ..Everyone just about uses it.:D

Someone is going to say "I use Avis" or such. :p

After seeing some of the "fine wiring" in foreign lands "hurts" may be more appropriate at that. ;)
  • john p

cariboocoot ,honestly that was the reason I used "hurts" as a play on the word as in most of Asia wiring has to be seen to be believed. I have the only house in the 130 family village I live in that has a circuit breaker panel and 3 seperate power breakers and another seperate one for lighting, here all that is used at the best of times is an unearthed metal input box with a knife switch and a single 50a fuse.. So designed if you replace the fuse with the switch on you go "puff" when you touch the hot fuse end clips:grr
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

I know what you mean. My sister-in-law's house in supposedly civilized England has exposed wire fuses.

We get spoiled here in NA with our encyclopedic NEC. :cool:
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin

Are you going to use a Transfer switch? (AC Grid or Inverter Output)?

Or will this be pure inverter AC connection to some devices you wan t to keep power on 24x7.

If you have a 120/240 VAC split phase inverter--It should not matter if you connect just to LineA and LineB for 230 VAC and leave the neutral floating.

Your bigger issue may be trying to copy the AC grid connection (possibly a neutral to earth ground bonding--or just floating)...

Most TSW inverters have isolated outputs, so floating, earthing the neutral, or earthing LineA, or earthing LineB should not matter.

In the US, we would either float or earth bond the center tap (neutral) from the TSW inverter.

If you will be using a Transfer Switch--You will have to use either a one or two pole relay--If one pole, then the grounded/earth line should be un-switched (preserve the earth/neutral bonding) and the switched lead would be the HOT (either Utility Hot or Inverter Hot).

If the system does not have an earth ground, or you want better isolation... Then use a two pole (240 VAC only) or three pole (120/240 VAC split phase) transfer switch so you can switch all connections between Utility and Inverter... You would need to add a earth to neutral bond/connection at the inverter side, if you want to copy the earth grounded mains power.

Sorry, not trying to be dense or overly complicated--but Grounding can be a complex issue where people and property can get hurt if connected incorrectly.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • john p

BB a quick run down..iin Phils to most areas its a 2 wire system .the "neutural" is (if you lucky) bonded to earth at the powerpole. An earth circuit is just about NEVER used in houses. All power points are 2 wire only and if you find a 3 wire socket NOTHING will ever be connected to the 3rd socket pin.It just ment the owner found a 3 hole socket somewhere.
    I f the poster with the inverter justs connects the black wire and the red wire to the 220 v socket and bonds either of those wires to an earth rod . no problems .Of course he can just use the 2 wies only and have whatever its connected to floating. .
    I would suggest using a double pole doublethrow switch to switch fro grid to inverter just to be sure there cant be any problems.. This type of knife switch is redilly available in high amp rating.
    He will have to put on a hat with the word
    "electrician" and use no proper tools so he can pass the jobs final inspection himself..