Rib roof mounting

I was intending to use the below bracket on my rib roof and use pop rivets. This way I would not have to screw into my roof risking leaks.

Any comments about this bracket or using pop rivets would be appreciated. I was intending to mount 1 1/2 inch unistrut rail on top of these mounting brackets. Then use spring nuts and flat washers to hold down the solar panels.

roof.jpg

mount.jpg

Comments

• solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Re: Rib roof mounting

Well, you really need to have a firm connection directly to the roof framing in order to satisfy the wind loading codes. Standard method is to use a straddle block with a screw going through it and the top of a rib into the framing. Easy to seal that way and strong.
  • TnAndy
    TnAndy Solar Expert Posts: 249 ✭✭

I've seen enough roofing metal fold up and peel back in winds that no way would I trust panels mounted to it like that.

YMMV.
  • sundownr
    sundownr Solar Expert Posts: 25

Problem is the roof is only 1/2 inch plywood and finding framing underneath the metal is difficult. Yes, I prefer going into the framing but...

Thanks for your input. I get it.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

Do you have access to the attic space? We recently had an install shown that drilled the truss from the inside out.
  • sundownr
    sundownr Solar Expert Posts: 25

It is a mobile home with no attic space. I think I will still use these brackets but reinforce the metal roof with some aluminum plates located near the mounting brackets. If the wind is strong enough to peel off the reinforced metal roof then I am likely to end up in Kansas anyway.

Thanks for your idea.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

The screws should be where the strapping is and it has to hold the roof on so it should hold the panel mounts on. take one screw out and drill into the hole to confirm that there is strapping there.

hth

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada