Pidgeon problem

solar_dave
solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
Ok so I have this problem with a pair of birds wanting to nest here. I got,the bird guy out and he cleared the problem from under the eves and bird proofed them. He said they would leave in a few days. NOT! Now they are hanging out under my panels for the last 2 weeks. No nest yet but I hate the flying rats.

Help!

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Pidgeon problem

Get out the shot gun and nail then up under the panels, they'll soon learn not to nest there. :p:p:p:p
  • solar_dave

I put on some AC/DC at level 11, they took off, I just wanted them away from the panels to apply a pellet treatment. Not came back yet.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Of course I was joking about the shot gun blasting at the panels. lol
  • hillbilly
    hillbilly Solar Expert Posts: 334 ✭✭

Got a good hunting cat? I would suspect that the pidgeons would not be too interested in hanging around if you had a good cat around. Ours unfortunately does some real damage on both pests (rodents and such) and non pests alike. We've tried bells and all that but it doesn't really affect his kill numbers that much. All in all we've had a lot less birds interested in hanging around, which has been good and bad... at least he got rid of those obnoxious stellers Jays that were into nesting right by our bedroom window and squawking incessantly.
  • Jim45D
    Jim45D Solar Expert Posts: 102 ✭✭

I don't like permanently getting rid of them. However, in the past I have. I have tried a fake owl perched on a piece of PVC standing about 5' above the panels. That worked for 4 or 5 day's until the pidgeon's discover he's not a threat. Then I tried a BB rifle, got a couple..but as soon as you leave the door, and they hear a cock of the rifle, they leave until you go inside. Then I did the ultimate.....threw rice on the roof. It does the job! However, I don't do that any longer. Instead, I buy wild bird seed, and feed the little bastards. Believe it or not, they stay away until feeding time....early in the morning. Once they eat, they leave until the next morning.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

have you tried a scare crow type thing or even an imitation owl. odds are it won't work with pidgeons as they are so stupid they don't always realize when they are in danger.:roll:
  • solar_dave
    niel wrote: »
    have you tried a scare crow type thing or even an imitation owl. odds are it won't work with pidgeons as they are so stupid they don't always realize when they are in danger.:roll:

Got a,fake owl out there, no dice. Been thinking about a dawn to,dusk AC/DC loop for a few days, my neighbors might not like it much. I ran it for 2 hours today and they didn't return but I suspect they didn't go far. Besides I like loud AC/DC ;)

The pellet option is a last resort but the pest guys tell me once they get a place they like they just stay and stay. I bet if it was summer they wouldn't hang under those panels, it gets damn hot.
  • solar_dave
    hillbilly wrote: »
    Got a good hunting cat? I would suspect that the pidgeons would not be too interested in hanging around if you had a good cat around. Ours unfortunately does some real damage on both pests (rodents and such) and non pests alike. We've tried bells and all that but it doesn't really affect his kill numbers that much. All in all we've had a lot less birds interested in hanging around, which has been good and bad... at least he got rid of those obnoxious stellers Jays that were into nesting right by our bedroom window and squawking incessantly.

There are several cats that seem to hunt around here but the morning doves are easier targets and even more stupid than the pigeons. They fly into the windows here and break their necks quite regularly. I think it is the lantana berries get them drunk. Never saw a cat on our roof and it would be hard for them to get up there.
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭

Our grocery store has loudspeakers that play a loop of
    predators screeching. Seems effective as I rarely see crows or grackles
    causing problems.
  • James
    James Solar Expert Posts: 250 ✭✭

I've been seeing some sort of object around lighted sign lettering on buildings. it looks like small clusters of spiked metal. i don't know what it's called.
  • solar_dave
    James wrote: »
    I've been seeing some sort of object around lighted sign lettering on buildings. it looks like small clusters of spiked metal. i don't know what it's called.

The cost to add that to my 72 panel setup is unacceptable. I did have several areas done with a combination of what you describe and industrial netting.
  • solar_dave
    bmet wrote: »
    Our grocery store has loudspeakers that play a loop of
    predators screeching. Seems effective as I rarely see crows or grackles
    causing problems.

They probably have something like this but on a larger scale.
    http://www.bird-x.com/birdxpeller-pro-products-42.php?page_id=104
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    solar_dave wrote: »
    They probably have something like this but on a larger scale.
    http://www.bird-x.com/birdxpeller-pro-products-42.php?page_id=104

Nice ! I bet the Audubon's love this:roll: Right up there with putting headlights on jetskis;)
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• solar_dave

One of them got lead poisoning, still flew off but some feathers left behind.
  • XRinger
    XRinger Solar Expert Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

I wonder if a Portable Motion Detector Alarm/Chime would work?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102584

Birds put out heat, and it they were 2 or 3 feet from the alarm,
    I'll bet they would set it off..
    Just have to put it right near their favorite spot and let her rip.. :p
  • solar_dave

So far so good today, no return!
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭

Something that I have seen done on deck railings in restaurants to discourage grackles and gulls from landing on them is monofilament fishing line pulled tight between supports. The birds don't see it until they try to land and then it disrupts their flight and discourages them.
  • solar_dave
    ggunn wrote: »
    Something that I have seen done on deck railings in restaurants to discourage grackles and gulls from landing on them is monofilament fishing line pulled tight between supports. The birds don't see it until they try to land and then it disrupts their flight and discourages them.

Now that is a unique idea, I like that.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    solar_dave wrote: »
    Now that is a unique idea, I like that.
    It is very cheap as well.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

another cheap fix is the tack strips used for carpets. Use 3 strips with the center one raised above the outer ones. can be combined with the fishing line

As a kid I used the pellet gun to stop the coo-coo-ing outside my bedroom window, but not too effective, there were more birds than pellets.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nylon line only last a few weeks in sunlight.
    There are some ultrasonic pigen repellers, but dogs may not like them.
    Also some tacky "hot foot" gels you can apply.

Try a green high power laser pointer, that may work enough that they leave. Bugs the heck out of squirrls in my fruit trees.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• solar_dave

I have to say they are now wary of the "lead ejection device". But that being said that once they leave for the day they don't come back. Maybe a few more days persuasion and they will get the idea.

I think they are getting the picture.
  • James
    James Solar Expert Posts: 250 ✭✭

yes, I saw that idea in a movie long ago....they tied a wire between two trees across a road. the poor motorcyclist lost his head. British film, cant remember the name of it.
    wow, i'm off the topic...i'm gettin old!