PWM and MPPT together

Options
bluewickedburner
bluewickedburner Solar Expert Posts: 78 ✭✭✭✭
I know, probably discussed before but just want to make sure I haven't violated a cardinal rule with this:

Array #1. 3 100 watt monocrystalline panels in series going to an MPPT controller then onto 12 volt bank of 520 amps (4 batteries in parallel). Supplies a 2000 watt inverter. I easily get to float by 11:30 am with full sun this time of year. Total harvest is between 1.5 1.9 kWh on sunny day (4pm or sundown) Using between 120-150 amps @ 12 volts per day. The three panels are dual axis tracked.

Proposed add is 4 Kyocera 130 watt panels (parallel) going to PWM controller and then onto batteries with its own wire. These panels will be tilted 15 degrees facing south (with southern exposure)

All wire is 1/0 right from junction box to controller, then to battery. #4 right from panels to boxes. Fuses and breakers in place.

All panels are 12 volt.

I attached a pic of what those 3 monocrystalline panels do right now (pic taken on the 15th I think). It does this all day there is sun, hitting float by midday, like clockwork.

When the second array is turned on do I need to be 100 yards away using remote control? Getting ready to upgrade the batteries so some extra harvest is warranted. Daily usage won't change.

Comments

• bluewickedburner
    Options
    Re: PWM and MPPT together

BTW if this is a no-go I'll dump the 130s and go with another 3 100 mono panels and single track them. Just happen to have the Kyocera laying around collecting dust.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Nothing will explode.
    Batteries don't care how many charge sources they're attached to, so long as the sources are regulated.

Since normally you expect to have 800 Watts of array on a 12 Volt 520 Amp hour bank I should imagine the batteries will welcome the additional 520 Watts. As it is, it sounds like your tracker is doing you great service.
  • bluewickedburner
    Options
    Nothing will explode.
    Batteries don't care how many charge sources they're attached to, so long as the sources are regulated.

Since normally you expect to have 800 Watts of array on a 12 Volt 520 Amp hour bank I should imagine the batteries will welcome the additional 520 Watts. As it is, it sounds like your tracker is doing you great service.

Thanks, I'll put away the rubber suit :)

The tracker was a labor of love, far more labor than i ever dreamed. It works but has some issues mechanically I'm still working though. I'll get a second one up when I completely sort out the first, in the meantime those 4 130 watters will go to good use. They'll have unbostructed view of the sun (as much as stationairy panels can with a single tilt).

The pure joy is the Midnight charge controller. What a piece of equipment and I can't say enough about the support from Midnight (purchased via our hosts here). Both ASW and Midnight are tops and made this newbie much less frayed thorugh all this. Of course, the help from this forum has as always, proven to be the place to stop before doing.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i'll agree that separate systems connected to the same batteries should be fine, as in the batteries are the only common denominator to both systems.