cost review of solar PV panels for last decade

zubair
zubair Registered Users Posts: 8
hi

hope you all will be at quiet ease. I need the information of the cost reduction in solar panels for last decade. I need general analysis not specific to any reigon and it will be better if comparison is for per watt not per Kwatt. (my emphasis is low power standalone systems for home use)

i searched google but i didnt find according to my demand :cool: can any one help

thanks

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: cost review of solar PV panels for last decade

use this page

http://www.ecobusinesslinks.com/solar_panels.htm

and then use

http://wayback.archive.org/web/20021201000000*/http://www.ecobusinesslinks.com/solar_panels.htm

you can look almost every month for the last 11 years
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

gee, i didn't know mr. peabody was still around.:confused::p

the wayback only gives stats back to nov of 2002 so almost 9 years worth.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

You might check the type of panels as well, in the last 3-4 years thin film panels have hit the market, which are considerably different life cycles and wattage per square inch.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • a0128958
    a0128958 Solar Expert Posts: 316 ✭✭✭

See "Tracking the Sun IV: An Historical Summary of the Installed Cost of Photovoltaics in the United States from 1998 to 2010," Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, September 2011.

Parenthetically, in the Dallas area, for year 2011, installed costs for residential systems are generally ranging from $4.5 - $6.5 per watt (before effects of rebates and tax considerations).

Best regards,

Bill
  • zubair
    zubair Registered Users Posts: 8

thanks all for valuable information
  • tallgirl
    tallgirl Solar Expert Posts: 413 ✭✭
    a0128958 wrote: »
    Parenthetically, in the Dallas area, for year 2011, installed costs for residential systems are generally ranging from $4.5 - $6.5 per watt (before effects of rebates and tax considerations).

Wow. At somewhere around $4.50, the grid starts to become more expensive than PV.

Time to move back to Dallas!
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

Tallgirl I got a 5 yr lease with a $99 residual using Enphase inverters for $1 a watt up front, I own the system outright at lease end.

I think it was a no brainer for an add of $3920.00!
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Hi pretty new in my researchso what's the average cost for a 5000w system? If that is the way to say it.?
    Thanks
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Depends... People getting turnkey installed solar Grid Tied are in the $5-$8 per Watt range (some are even sub $5 per watt). And a few are getting lease to own systems darn near $1 per watt (it seems)....But those rely on government rebates, tax write-offs, and green energy coupons, etc. Many of which are only available to the companies doing the installs. Add 30% federal tax credits and some state/local rebates (at least until the free money runs out).

For an off grid system--You are probably looking at $10-$20 per watt installed using new components. Self installs you can do it for much less.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭

"At somewhere around $4.50, the grid starts to become more expensive than PV."

Actually it has to get closer to $1/watt installed for most people to even consider it. At $2/watt it is a 5 to 7 year break even point and since people move about that often on average people will not invest in something that has such a long payback period.
  • TnAndy
    TnAndy Solar Expert Posts: 249 ✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    For an off grid system--You are probably looking at $10-$20 per watt installed using new components. Self installs you can do it for much less.

-Bill

Recently did a 6 panel (245w ea) off grid system using an Outback prewired power center ( 3500w inverter + 60amp CC + DC/AC breakers/etc ) and battery bank of 8 L-16s (780amp/hr) for a buddy of mine.

Total cost was right at 10k, self installed.

10k / 1470w = $6.80/w

He can double the system size for another 3k in panels, another FX60 charge controller, couple breakers for combiner box, couple sets of extension leads, and some mounting clips for his standing seam roof....I figure little under 4k. That would put his costs down to about $4.80/w for a 2940w system.

That ain't bad for an off grid system.

Couple Pics:

ry%3D480

ry%3D480
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

One possible suggesting Andy--It appears that you may want to move the + or - main cable to the opposite battery string to better balance charging/discharging current across parallel battery strings (at least from my guess from your photo).

www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i'm wondering why you didn't opt for a 48v battery bank.:confused: