200A load center question

Gents,

Good morning. I'd like to add a load center for my PV project and was curious if my plan is acceptable. Currently, I have a 200A service coming from the utility pole that happens to be 300' from the house. In the basement, we have another 200A load center that is servicing the house. My question is, I'd like to add a third 200A load center between these two panels. This new, third panel will be located at the riser where the service enters the house and that's where I'll be feeding the grid.

Will this be an issue? I'm guessing not since it's been done already at the house but just wanted to make sure. I'll have to bond the ground and neutral from both panels. The distance between the two panels will be less than 2ft. I'll be using the same size conductors that are currently being used.

So, here's the one line diagram:
PHOTOBUCKETUPLOADONELINE.jpg

Here's my proposed idea:
ALIDECKCOVERPROJECT-FINAL10_30_11Loadcenter1.jpg

Here's a picture of where the proposed panel will on top of the riser that's entering the basement:
serviceentrance.jpg

Closeup
serviceentrance_2.jpg

Future PV system hardware installation:
ALIDECKCOVERPROJECT-FINAL10_30_11SouthElevwithelectrical.jpg

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• alia176
    alia176 Solar Expert Posts: 33
    Re: 200A load center question

any one..........?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

This is one of those "local authority having jurisdiction" issues.

Since it looks like you're taking a set-up meant to have 400 Amps of service on it and adding another 200 Amps of service offhand I'd say "no". You can't just add more and more potential power taps to existing wiring, not even drops.

At best I'd expect they'd make you derate the panels to 150 Amps each or some combination thereof.

Having said that, someone else is bound to add their $0.02 worth now. :D
  • alia176
    alia176 Solar Expert Posts: 33

At best I'd expect they'd make you derate the panels to 150 Amps each or some combination thereof.

Having said that, someone else is bound to add their $0.02 worth now. :D

I think the panel derating method makes sense to me but my knowledge is limited. The house came with two 200amp panels and that was acceptable back in '85 as evidenced by the final inspection sticker on the panel.

I should take my prints to the local AHJ and see what they think. Hopefully, I can do this w/o paying a fee or something!