solar in Iraq

Options
t00ls
t00ls Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
Just thought I would share some photos with all of you...solar lighting all over in bagdad

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: solar in Iraq

Interesting... I wonder if it will all still be working in 5-10 years.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭
    Options

Are you there now?
  • t00ls
    Options

yup.....just took these the other day

part of the 149th out of kentucky.....closing down bagdad operations
  • Sparkletron
    Sparkletron Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Very cool. I'm guessing each panel makes power for its associated street light below? With maybe a battery inside the base of each tower? This kind of redundancy goes a long way in an area with frequent power outages.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

so who paid for those street lights i wonder?:grr

i made the suggestion to a rep in the doe many years ago to do this here in the states due to power outages making roads unsafe and it would've taken the load off of the grid that is often strained too.
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Options

Please be careful of what you post publicly. Your schedule is highly sensitive information.
    t00ls wrote: »
    yup.....just took these the other day

part of the 149th out of kentucky.....closing down bagdad operations
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options

We have these in several areas around my office. They were installed on the entire parking lot of the maintenance building, then in several areas around the main office building's parking lot to fill in where they needed more light. The more recent additions are doing fine, I've never seen them out. The ones on the other parking lot often require them to bring in several mobile light/genset trailers in the middle of winter for a month or two!

They have several compromises to make them operate close to standard lighting (but still not the same). One, they mount the light fixture twice as close to the ground. Second, they have two lights in the fixture which alternate operation each night to double the maintenance-free run time. Both reasons are due to using CFLs which have less lumens to begin with and then loose brightness over time.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • t00ls
    Options
    bmet wrote: »
    Please be careful of what you post publicly. Your schedule is highly sensitive information.

dont worry...Ive been in for 22 years........it's no secret that I'm with the 149th, and no secret that we are closing down operations here.......what is secret is the timeline and what exactly I do

so........no sensitive info here