Options
2»

Comments

• DavidOH
    DavidOH Solar Expert Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Connecting MC4 to Box
    rick wrote: »
    boxes are not as expensive as you're making them out to sound.
    Standard MNPV6: $87.20 4 fuse holders: $23.00 4 fuses: $27.40 4 MC4 connectors: $20.00
    Plus, a pre-wired combiner box can significantly decrease your install time which usually saves additional money. So it actually makes good sense.

Ditto Rick! I did the math.;)
    Would have been worth it to me just to hang the box and plug it in. :D
  • TnAndy
    TnAndy Solar Expert Posts: 249 ✭✭
    Options

OK, if we're doing math:

Let's say I have a 10 panel array, wiring in pairs ( I do ), so I need 5 spaces out of a 6 space Midnite Box ( I did ).

Let's say I needed 7' of extension cable from the panel leads to the combiner box ( about what I needed )

Box $87.20
    5 breakers $57.50 ($11.50ea)
    5 box connectors $15 ($3ea)
    5 ex. cables 15' $110 ($22ea) (cut in half for 7.5')

Total: $269.70

Go the pre-wired route:

Box $287
    10 ex. cables 8' $180 ( Remember, got to have an end on each cable...$18ea )

Total: $467

Difference: $197.50

Time to run 5 sets of wires in the Plain Jane box ?

Maybe an hour (if you're really slow).....and retain 197 bucks (plus shipping).

I must be cheap....I'll spend 200 bucks on other stuff. :roll:
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

TnAndy;

You said it yourself: "Every install is different."

Do not condemn a product just because it doesn't fit your particular situation.
  • TnAndy
    TnAndy Solar Expert Posts: 249 ✭✭
    Options

Cariboocoot:

I wasn't "condeming" anything. I was merely pointing out the economic folly of the idea.

Companies produce Edsels all the time.....the market decides whether they are driven on the road. As Rick said....they don't stock these. And the REASON they don't stock these is they don't sell enough of them to take up the space/cash to justify having them IN stock. That says people basically are not buying them, the clear sign of being an Edsel.

(For those of ya'll that don't know what an Edsel is: A futuristic car made by Ford in the late 50's-early 60's that was a complete flop.....my age may be showing here )

And I was trying to point out the best case using my install example.....the economics could actually get worse, depending on the length of pre-made MC4 extension cable one needed.

Say, for example, an 8' lenght wouldn't do.....that you needed 9'....you'd have to step up to buying ten 15' cables in the example of 5 pairs of panels on an array......( and what, pray tell, does one do with the EXTRA 6' of cable ....times 10.... to make the install look neat ? )

OR even worse, what happens if you order 8' lengths and THEN find out on install day that farthest panel on the array out won't quite reach with 8'....and you need one pair of that 15' sets.....now you stop the install, order it, and wait until it's shipped to you.....bummer...... ( that "every install is different" thing again......and often, you can't tell HOW different until the actual install begins )

I guess one could get into buying their own MC4 connector ends, roll of cable, and making up their own custom lengths on the job, but the crimping tool is fairly expensive, and by the time you did all that, you've defeated the "quick and easy" part of this unless you're in the solar install business......and if you are in the business, I'd think you'd want that difference in price to come home to your pocket rather than go out to Midnite ( and thus buy the PlainJane boxes )

OK, you think it's a wonderful idea....I don't. You can buy them, I won't.......let's leave it at that.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options

A small PV company that I used to work for made their own junction boxes with bulkhead MC4 connectors on the outside internally wired to terminal blocks. They were blessed by local inspectors and implemented on many jobs.