Xantrex SW4024 schematics for parts available ?

Hi All -

I just picked up a Xantrex SW4024 to convert my existing single Trace SW4024 120V setup to a stacked 240V setup. That old Trace has been going solid for 12 years, hasn't skipped a beat. I got Xantrex for a steal with the caveat that the seller didn't know if it was working or not ...

Sure enough, it's not working. I apply 24V to it, and the LCD just displays a top row of dark blocks, bottom row is black, and no LEDs on at all. With 120V into AC Hot IN 1, there's nothing being switched to the AC OUT. So I pulled off the cover to start looking around.

It's definitely been mistreated. The mounting flanges are bent, and the AC board is actually LOOSE, having snapped off the corners of the muffin fans. I get the feeling someone took off the back of a truck and went "OMIGAWG it's HEAVY!" and dropped it.

img0154sm.th.jpg (Click for higher-resolution image)

There is also a coiled cable there with a gray connector on it that comes from the control board - that doesn't seem to be in my older Trace SW4024. Any idea what that's for ? I haven't pulled the AC board completely, but from eyeballing it, it seems to be OK. Hopefully.

The control board though - that has a blown diode, D12 on the upper right of the component side. I think transistor Q6 next to it is OK, but can't be sure.

img0155sm.th.jpg img0157smc.th.jpg (Click for higher-resolution images)

The Control board is PN 110-0066 rev 8 from 06/12/14. Does anyone have the schematics for it ? Or do you know what the diode is ? Looks like a typical small signal diode, and since it's accessible should be easily replaceable. I would much rather attempt the repair here myself before heading to an Authorized Service Center to spend at least $800+ on a new control board ...

Thanks -

Dean.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Xantrex SW4024 schematics for parts available ?

you do realize that bad parts aren't always going to be easily identified as not all will be blown apart. if you fix this then you can consider yourself lucky.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Yeah, I know. Wishful thinking, but who knows, maybe I'll save $800+ :)

D.
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

That looks like a Zener diode protecting the communications channel likely a 5v Zener and it would only blow like that from being way over driven buy some form of surge. The bad news is if the Zener failed then the surge got through into whatever the diode is protecting likely frying it as well.
  • System2

Yeah - chances are if it was in circuit as a typical zener it was shunting excess voltage to GND. Since it blew, there is/was no path to GND, and all the excess voltage went on through the circuit.

Nothing else looks suspicious though - no burn or browning marks that I can see without dismounting the main control board. Anyway, it's a cheap and easy fix to test, and if it doesn't work, nothing lost but a $0.04 diode ... The control board will have to be replaced anyway.

Couple of typical choices if it's a 5V ...

1N4688 4.7V
    1N4733A 5.1V
    1N5523 5.1V
    1N4690 5.6V

Any ideas what's supposed to be there ?

Thanks -

D.
  • System2

Any luck anyone ? No-one has the schematics ?

Thanks -

D.
  • kakiwaki
    kakiwaki Solar Expert Posts: 28 ✭✭

well well well LUCKY I SAW THIS POST.........................

The diode is a 1N5262. I do still repair these inverters and even the 4548 version.

The error you described is one of the classical errors. Might be one of the CPU gone....
  • bucman
    bucman Registered Users Posts: 2
    Hello from Slovenia,

Have a problem with the Xantrex SW4548. There's nothing on the display and inveter doesn't work anymore just fans running on, with full power. It seems to me that was a problem a lightning strike. The electricity guy tells me that is a problem with control board. Do you maybe know what could be wrong. Thanks

Best regards

Matjaz
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Lightning is lights out :'(   Even if by luck you get it running it will not be long before something else fails. Replace the unit!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• bucman
    bucman Registered Users Posts: 2
    You've right 😫I'd like to buy a new control panel but I don't find it. Was send email to Xantrex but no answer🤔
    Maybe someone know wher to buy one? Tnx
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The SW4548 has been replaced by the CSW4048. Your old unit has been out of support life for over 10 years.
    Try google searching in Slovenia for a dealer who sells Schneider Electric Solar and the CSW 4048.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net