FSEC Florida Solar Energy Center pv module certification?

Options
rollandelliott
rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
Is anyone familiar with FSEC's approval process?
If I want to use a module not listed on their site is it $300 for basic or $3000 for comprehensive?

Even at the lowest cost of
$300 and factoring in freight charges of $175 x 2 ways plus their system review fee of $250
I'm looking at $900 worth of bureacratic fees to get a "non certified panel" approved.

anyone else think this is BS?

The utility rebate I'm hoping to get says FESC approval is mandatory.:grr

Comments

• ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: FSEC Florida Solar Energy Center pv module certification?
    Is anyone familiar with FSEC's approval process?
    If I want to use a module not listed on their site is it $300 for basic or $3000 for comprehensive?

Even at the lowest cost of
    $300 and factoring in freight charges of $175 x 2 ways plus their system review fee of $250
    I'm looking at $900 worth of bureacratic fees to get a "non certified panel" approved.

anyone else think this is BS?

The utility rebate I'm hoping to get says FESC approval is mandatory.:grr
    Well, if them's the rules, them's the rules. Why not just use a module from their list?
  • rollandelliott
    Options

Because I could save 10% by using a non listed module or about $1500 on a 10kw system. Besides their list is outdated.

I did talk to them and I would only have to pay the $300 fee and no shipping as it is just some paper work they collect, no actual testing is done, they just double check and see that it meets UL standards for that fee. What a racket.

Still $550 extra nonsense fees.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options

Fsec has no bearing on installation or the choice of modules in the State Of Florida

They many moons ago got a law pasted ( a legislative pro quid pro ) that made them the detacto standard, but with the now ended rebate program, it was determined FSEC was not a requirement as FSEC haven't tested anything in years as the manufactures just ignored them.

The law that gave FSEC the power ( but no enforcement mechanism ) would require all solar related products to be approved by them, which is just silly. Since there is no enforcement, it is a law that has no bearing
  • rollandelliott
    Options

Im sure that is true in general but for the rebate it is a requirement.
    My contractor has indicated that my system configuration is being reviewed for certification by FSEC. Can I still qualify for a rebate?
    Yes, In lieu of the FSEC PV System Approval Certificate, FSEC can send an e-mail to PEFSolarPV@pgnmail.com indicating that your system is being reviewed for certification; however, the system must be certified in order to fulfill the requirement of the Certificate of Completion.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options

I assume that the electric company making this requirement ... probably as read-tape to discourage people from applying for their rebate. They can make up any rules they like.

The State rebate program had no such requirements
  • fafcosolar
    fafcosolar Registered Users Posts: 7
    Options

I'm curious what utility is requiring this. The FPL rebate program currently under way does not have this requirement.

Nonetheless, the law does state that all solar energy systems installed in the state must be certified by FSEC. In practice, this is not always done, as most jurisdictions are only concerned with the UL Listing of the module and inverter.

My beef with FSEC is over approval of certified systems using microinverters. There should be a provision to allow any manufacturer approved module to be used in any microinverter branch circuit string length up to the maximum rating. There is absolutely no conceivable reason to certify every microinverter system, as there is no string sizing, DC disconnect, and DC combiner to worry about. The design is pretty simple to comprehend!

I believe that FSEC does have some good value to the solar industry, but the PV system certification system is antiquated.

Jason Szumlanski
    Fafco Solar
    Cape Coral, FL
    http://fafcosolar.com