Hi, I am new here

solarpanels
solarpanels Registered Users Posts: 5
Hello everyone,

I wanted to say a few words about myself. But I couldn't find the appropriate section, so I feel this one will do just fine.
My name is Nebojsa and I am currently researching how solar panels work. I am in the process of getting new cells to build my own solar panel. I hope this project will work and I look forward to learning new information, here at Wind & Sun discussion Forum.

Thanks,
Nebojsa

Comments

• James
    James Solar Expert Posts: 250 ✭✭
    Re: Hi, I am new here

Hello and welcome. You will find a wealth of infomation and experience here.

I believe you will find most folks here will discourage the use of home built solar panels except for learning purposes. A quick search of the threads will give you a lot of info on the issues involved.
  • solarpanels

Thank you James.

I've been wondering what else do you need to get in order to build your first solar panel system. Most likely battery and inverter. Is there anything else that I should take care of?

Thanks,
    Nebojsa
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

We do have a long thread with lots of basic and varied solar links. Take a look through it and see what interests you:

Working Thread for Solar Beginner Post/FAQ

And some information on small systems (emergency/experimental power):
    BB. wrote: »
    Add this link to our Solar Beginner Post:

Emergency Power

Basically a very long thread that starts from the beginning with a few vague requirements through design and assembly for a "portable" solar RE off-grid power box.

And here is another example by Mike90045 called the Solar Monolith:

attachment.php?attachmentid=384&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234752636

attachment.php?attachmentid=385&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234752653

Update pictures/information here.

-Bill

And a couple other threads to look at:

Here is a nice thread with video from Kevin in Calgary Canada that shows designing and installing solar PV in a small RV trailer.

Poster Robert "2ManyToyz" has created a web page about the installation and use of his Link Pro Battery Monitor. How to install instructions and youtube video included.

Lastly, a well documented set of posts on why building/installing large (non-UL/CSA/NRTL) panels is not recommended:

Panel Fire Question

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Urbandialect
    Urbandialect Solar Expert Posts: 107 ✭✭✭✭

How are you going to build your solar panel?
    How many cells are you using?
    what kind of system are you trying to build? 12volt 24volt 48 volt or grid tie?
    What kind of charge controller do you plan on using?
    How far do you plan for the panels to be from the charge controller and battery bank?
    What kind of solar cells are you using to build the panel?
    What are you trying to power with your solar system?
  • solarpanels

How are you going to build your solar panel?
    I have broken cells that I will use for my test. Problem is that they are too big and it might be too big project for a newbie like me.

How many cells are you using?
    I have around 50 cells that are from solar LED light modules.

what kind of system are you trying to build? 12volt 24volt 48 volt or grid tie?
    I would rather make tiny solar module, so 12v is the most practical solution.

What kind of charge controller do you plan on using?
    I was planning to use a simple and cheap one. To allow me to transform at least 20 watts of energy.

How far do you plan for the panels to be from the charge controller and battery bank?
    Let's say 10 meters to connect from the rooftop to my garage system.

What kind of solar cells are you using to build the panel?
    They are monocrystalline cells.

What are you trying to power with your solar system?
    I am trying to power LED lights in my garage.

Thank you all. I am still in the process of learning as enthusiast :)